.380 SD ammo

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by karateguy28, Jan 11, 2013.

1. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

hey all, just wanted opinions on 2 possible self defense .380 rounds, the Corbon 90 grain JHP and the Hornady 90 gr FTX critical defense. any personal experiences with either? i feel both are solid rounds overall. fyi, they will be loaded in a sig p238. thank you in advance.

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm more a fan of the Cor-Bon DPX lead free round. It's only 80gr but they typically have a higher velocity without being +p rated and really good penetration and expansion reliability. I haven't shot the 380 specifically, but do use this round as my primary defensive round in my 9mm and 45s.

That said, the Critical Defense is my backup SD round, if I can't find the Cor-Bon.

To be honest, I've yet to have any hollow point round I've tried fail to cycle or expand from any of my current SD guns. The Cor-Bon DPX is the only that did expand our of my tiny derringer barrels.

3. 1911love

1911love New Member

I load Speer Gold Dot short barrel bonded JHPs in my LCP. I've also had good results with the DPX and Critical Defense as well.

4. dmtshooter

dmtshooter New Member

I use the tornado critical defense due to the more shallow penetration. My biggest fear in a self defense situation is over penetration.