.380 or 45 ACP

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sawfish, Mar 24, 2010.

1. sawfish

sawfish New Member

I am trying to decide which one to buy, a ruger lcp .380 or some kind of 45.
    I know that these are not even close to being in the same ball park. I want a little pocket gun for around the house, outside, and can easily carry when I get my concealed permit. But on the other hand I have always wanted a 45.
    My biggest concern about the 380 is that it seems to be very hard to find ammo for it. I have not chosen a 45 yet, I have looked at the M&P and the XD but have always like the 1911's. What are some thoughts about the lcp 380??

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Thank goodness for that.

I love shooting 1911s but I generally carry a .380 Walther PPK (or a PPK/S). If you need an easily concealable pocket type gun, get the LCP now and save up for the 1911. While I don't own an LCP, I have a bunch of friends that do and they like them. Be aware - they are not a lot of fun to shoot as those baby guns are very snappy...

3. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

You won't be happy with a .380,you will regret not getting a .45acp.I got a 9mm instead of a .45acp,and even though I like the 9mm and is cheap to shoot,I keep thinking,what if I got that .45.With the LCP you are stuck with standard pressure ammo,no+P for the lcP,so your stopping power is alot lower than a .45acp,alot lower.My next gun might be a .45acp,I even like how cool a .45acp ball round looks.

5. jackg

jackg New Member

Sawfish,
    NGIB said exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. Go ahead and satisfy your need to get going by buying the LCP. Then take the next 90 days to explore the options regarding a .45 semi-auto weapon. At the end of the day your budget will give you the answer but during that 90 days you will learn a lot, especially about the LCP, if you can find any ammo. I found 4 fifty round boxes today at $25 ea. It's an expensive round and scarce.
    By the way I have a Kimber Crimson Pro Carry in .45 auto and I love it. I also have a Walther PPK/S in .380 & I have learned to love it, it took practice, lots of it, for me.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

There are a lot of people in the world who carry .380s and are perfectly happy with them. You may be one of them, you'll never know until you try it. I think even .380 ammo is starting to loosen up a little more now as well.

One thing I can almost guarantee is that whatever you choose, be it .380 or . 45 ACP, you'll either (1) be satisfied with the .380 until you want to TRADE UP in caliber...or (2) not be satisfied with the .45 you picked and want to upgrade. It's part of the natural order of life with pistols!

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

To further my point, handguns are like potato chips and almost nobody stops at just one. Satisfy the need for immediate carry protection, then do your homework and get a 1911...

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's the threadkilla!! Completely agree. :cool:

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have you fired, or even handled a Ruger LCP?

They are small, no, tiny and it will bark at you when fired. They will even bite you should you go to the range and shoot up, let's say, two or three boxes of ammo!

Not a fun gun to shoot. Great gun to hide, just about anywhere, but not to shoot.

I shoot +P ammo in my Colt Defender, 3" barrel and a alloy frame. I shoot my Colt Government converted to 460 Rowland with no issues and a ton of fun. Hell I even shoot my S&W model 29 in 44 Mag and enjo......well I shoot it!

I have a Ruger LCP, and it's not fun to shoot.

Actually I do enjoy shooting my 44 Mag more than my Elsie Pea.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Senor Cane didn't agree.:(

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Nope, good then, we're still open.

I haven't fired an lcp and frankly, I don't want to. I have fired small kel-tecs and really don't care for small auto mouse guns, but the OP gave two choices and one need.

Get what you can get for carry RIGHT NOW and save for later. Might I suggest an LCR? :D

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ah, the Elsie Ahrr, now we're talking!

[​IMG]

13. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I recently bought a lcp. I've only shot 100 rounds through it. I haven't carried it away from my home yet. I need to shoot it some more before I carry it. I agree with what others have said, if you are looking for a tiny gun to throw in your pocket when you are wearing shorts, tanktop and flip-flops, it's great.
    I also agree that it is a handfull to shoot. I'm a big dude, and this thing is jumpy.
    If you want a gun you can carry, no matter where you are or what your dress is, it will do nicely. I also highly recommend crimson trace for this gun, as there are no real sights. It is really intended for very close-up-and personal use. So, sights are an after thought.
    I love the 1911. If you are looking for a gun for times other than when you are in little clothing, get the 45.
    Good Luck.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Why does it have to be .380 or .45?A 9mm is in between the two,and you can have the best of both worlds.The Kel-Tec P-11 9mm ain't that much bigger than the LCP,about the same price,holds ten rounds and has better stopping power than a .380.If you are set on a .380 the Kel-tec P-3AT is very simialr to the LCP,actually it's darn near identical and about the same price.I couldn't tell you which one is better,I have no experience with either.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Buy a SigP238. Be happy. Prove them wrong

LCP/P3AT's are horrible little bastards. 1", 11# trigger, NO THANKS!

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Kel-Tec P11 is a lot larger than the LCP and weighs nearly twice as much loaded. There is nothing at all wrong with the .380 as a defensive caliber especially considering it comes in guns that are truly pocket sized. I have a bunch of handguns and I generally carry a Walther PPK as it's smallish, accurate and easy to conceal. As far as stopping power, the main point is that you have a gun with you - and you shoot it well. If a gun is not convenient to carry - you may leave it home...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I haven't shot an LCP but have fired a Keltec and I didn't like it at all. I'm like goju, I don't like the small autos. Out of the two asked about, I would go with a 1911 in 45. Are you set on one of those two? Would you be open to other ideas?

18. sawfish

sawfish New Member

Well I went ahead and got the little LCP, my neighbor loaned me some shells to test it out and boy does that have a bark. I have to say that it is a loud snappy little thing. While I was out getting it I was looking at the Kimber's that they had in the case, I think that I may end up getting one of those very soon. They gave me a Kimber brochure to look through, I know that I want a S.S. in a 45 with the tactical rail.

19. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member