.380 defence rounds

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jimogden1984, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

going to be buying the sig p238 soon as a back up to my 1911 or to for summertime carry when my clothes don't allow me to conceal a bigger gun (I'm a jeans and t shirt guy, this probably won't happen often). I've never had a .380 and was wondering what sd rounds you guys would recommend to keep in it. I've carried for a couple of years now but the only 2 pistols I've owned was a .357 snubby which I recently sold to my cousin and my 1911 which is now my carry piece. I've test fired a used p238 but other than that have no expeience with something this small.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Speer Gold Dot seems to feed like ball. It expands well and penetrates properly because of the weight retention (100%)

3. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Thanks, ill def check em out

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Buffalo bore 90gr hardcast.

5. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Gun test - sample issue - performed some test on a variety of 380 fodder and everything failed the penetration test except fmj. Of course, everyone went nutz, questioning everything about the test.

No, I do not recall all the loads except Critical defense was not among them. No one likes to read about their SD load not making the grade but mouse guns do not have the velocity of the full size counterparts.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Three that did well in ammo tests I have seen:

Corbon DPX (Barnes solid copper bullet)

Buffalo Bore, also with the Barnes bullet

Winchester PDX1 Bonded

All expanded real well with the Buffalo Bore getting a slight edge on penetration. If I remember correctly, they had 9" to 10" penetration after correction to FBI 'gel' specs. That's slightly under what the FBI requires, but still enough to reach vital areas. The Corbon DPX has passed expansion tests even when shot through sheet metal barriers.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have both the FMJ PMC and Hornady Critial Defense HP in my mag & chamber.

8. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I go FMJ all the way in a .380 - just not enough penetration to suit me with the other flavors.

As far as Hornady goes, I was running some .380 Hornady Critical Defense through my LCP a couple of years ago and experienced two hard primer strikes out of my first three mags (18 rounds). I emailed Hornady with lot numbers multiple times to inquire as to a possible problem and never got any answer whatsoever back from them.

Google it and you'll see quite a bit of controversy over their choice of primers back then - but their customer service didn't seem to care one bit. I'm done with Hornady's pistol ammo.

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

.380 ACP Tactical Ammunition

Buffalo Bore: 380 ACP +P 95 grain 1125/267 JHP #27D/20
    Corbon: 380 Auto +P 90 grain 1050/220 fps JHP #SD38090-20
    Hornady: 380 Auto 90 grain XTP 1000/200 JHP #90102
    Remington: 380 ACP 102 grain 940/200 fps JHP #GS380B
    Winchester: Supreme Elite 380 95 grain 1000/211 JHP PDX1 #S380PDB

10. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I don't know, it might be not be very realistic comin out of a .380 but I've always kept hp in everything I carry for fear of overpenetration

11. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

I use fmj in my 380s. Its the only round in a 380acp that gets through 12" of matter in every test ive ever seen.

380hp ammo doesnt perform well if solid objects like clothing and bones are hit. Remember the badguy is not likely going to stand there with a perfect profile. The goblin will often be wearing hoodies, will always have his arms in front of his chest pointing a firearm at you or someone else. Fmj is the only round in 380 acp that goes through all that for 12" reliably enough in that cartridge.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

One addition to my earlier comment is in line w this thread; a Ranger commented on the Range Test by writing he received a call about a Black Bear being shot 5 times at close range w 380 fmj. They found the Bear dead and were surprised the light caliber got the job done.

Just an observation. I shoot Remington's Home Defense -102 gr and Critical Defense - 90 gr. and the polymer insert in the latter feeds really well BUT I am disheartened about the primer issue AND rather pissed off about Hornady's lack of response.

Like many sportsman, I just assumed a first class outfit w have a customer service to match and I would respectfully request anyone (moderator) w computer skills to copy this thread and send it to them.

The old axiom on the two worst sounds in the world, a click when your expecting a bang and a bang, when you are expecting a click.

14. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I still have the remaining seven rounds (out of a 25-round box) in the original box if you can somehow get Hornady interested.....

BTW, I had already put over 400 rounds of FMJ through the LCP to break it in, and they ran flawlessly, so I don't think one can blame the gun.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012