.380 Day

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by NGIB, May 2, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's been a busy weekend but I found an hour to get a new toy to the range. Since I wanted a comparison, I took my trusty PPK along with the Sig P238 and some FMJ & JHP ammo. Before y'all chew me out, I forgot my camera so no target pix today. Anyway, I started out with the PPK as I've always shot it well. It performed as it always does, very accurate but a tad snappy as all blowback guns are.

I switched to the Sig and I was expecting it to have a stout kick as it's lighter than the Walther and it has a two finger only grip. It fills the hand well, but there isn't a place for your pinky but I found it natural to just curl my pinky over the bottom of the mag. I loaded up 7 rounds of FMJ and let fly - and was I surprised. The little Sig put all 7 rounds in the center of the target - and the recoil was very soft. While it's lighter and smaller than the Walther - the recoil felt like 50% less. The Sig is a locked breech design and that must be what makes the difference.

I switched over to Gold Dots and ran 3 mags through it with no problems at all. Accuracy remained good (about a 3-4 inch group, one handed, at 6-7 yards) and recoil was still very mild even with SD ammo. Yup, this is a pricey little devil but I'm very impressed and I actually carried it in a Bianchi IWB on the way home. It carries very well as it's small & light. This is a keeper folks...

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Sounds good to me and congratz

3. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I was wondering how those P238s shot. I'm going to start slowly rebuilding my little arsenal in a few months and a small .380 is on my wish list.

4. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

I'm not sure how long you have had your PPK. The Sig 238 black nitron finish w night sights is actually about $50.00 less. The Stainless finish is about $50.00 more then the PPK. The 232 is 5 oz lighter than the PPK. The PPK has always been a little snappy. The 238 with a full alloy frame and wide grip for a small pistol helps absorb some recoil. It is also a very well balanced little gun.
    The PPK is a classic but I don't like the 13 lb trigger pull. Waiting for when the thing is going to fire can make some people tense and flinch when it finally does fire.
    If you really want a head to head comparison the Sig 232 is almost identical to the PPK. Just about the same weight, barrel length and appearance. It has a blow back action. It has excellent balance. It is about $100.00 more than the 238. The 238's are much harder to come by so you may have paid an inflated price. I would keep a PPK even if I never shot it. I'll take Walther and Sig Sauer over most any day. I am sure you will like the 238 more and more. What's not to like about it? It's a Sig.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Both my PPKs are older pre-S&W guns. I have a short grip PPK and the later model PPK/S. I like them both and one of them is generally my primary carry. It will take a bit more time until I have the same faith in the P238 - but I really like it so far...

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good stuff. It sounds like a keeper.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Sounds like a keeper of a mouse gun! I had my doubts about these, but everything I have read about them has been good. I just don't like guns I can't get a good grip on. The LCR almost falls into this category.

8. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

Less comfort is a compromise you pay for the smaller size. You need to practice enough to be fairly comfortable shooting a 238 or an LCP but it is probably not going to be your primary. You will notice some of the more powerful 9 mm pistols are getting smaller, just not down to less than a 3" barrel or less than .90 inch width. I have an LCP and a 238. I bought the LCP for my wife but she complains about the recoil so she shoots the 238. It is much more comfortable to shoot, especially one handed. I consider both pistols to be reliable. The little Ruger has exceptional fit and finish for the price. The more expensive Sig with stainless slide and alloy frame is cost justified.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Glad to hear that the P238 is working out for ya'.Good to hear that it cycles everything you feed it. That's how pistols are suppose to be. When they first came out I thought that a mini 1911 was a pretty cool pocket pistol. If I hadn't already bought my pocket pistol before knowing about the SigP238 release, I would have waited for the it.