.380 Auto VS .22 Magnum Revolver

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

What one would you rather have?The ballistics as far as muzzle energy is close,and round capacity is almost identical for most guns too,8 shots are what alot of the smaller autos hold,and 8 shots is typical for a .22 mag revolver.I will give a slight edge to the .380 in power,but not enough to say that it is way better.What would you rather have,a mouse .380 or a .22 magnum snubbie?

2. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

.380. Until you can buy FMJ .22 Magnum. Then I'd still take the .380.
    You need to be able to get through clothing, skin, bones and cartilage with enough left to tear up the good stuff like arteries and the central nervous system. and the .380 is the superior round.

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You mean like this? I think at 1875 fps you will be able to make it through a few layers of clothing, skin, bones and probably into the house next door.;) Get a .22 mag.

Attached Files:

4. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

.22 mag.. then you can actually afford to shoot the bad guy! i can never find any .380 for a decent price :(. was gonna get the old lady a bersa thunder 380 conceal but 4get paying as much as or more than .45 acp for .380 @_@

5. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

In most power and one shot stop charts, the .380 wins. The 22mag comes in at 42% and the .380 comes in at 69%. One shot stops that is. Although, it has a lot to do with shot placement. I would rather have the 22 if I could hit the BG in the eye than my .380 if all I could do is hit him in the shoulder.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

For self defense- .380

For all other purposes - .22mag

:)

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any rimfire is a poor choice for SD. The nature of the priming compound renders the rimfire less reliable than the centerfire.

This is more of the same old "Heavy/Slow vs. Light/Fast" argument.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I personally don't think all rimfires are a poor choice for SD,Especially when talking about revolvers.The chances of a misfire with a good gun and good ammo like CCI are very slim,and with a revolver a misfire isn't a problem,just pull the trigger again.A .22 LR auto would be a poor choice,but I think a good .22 magnum revolver isn't a bad choice.The chances of landing 2,3,4 shots with a .22 magnum is very good because of lack of recoil.

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Ammo prices make no sense to me.I was at a store yesterday that sells nothing but winchester white box ammo.50 packs were as follows-9mm 10.99,.38spl 18.99,.25 auto 19.99.I don't remember all the prices,but it seems like my order I just listed should be reversed.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Remember also that most .22 mag revolvers will either come with an accessory .22 LR cylinder or can be fired using LR ammo, which will enable you practice for almost nothing. I've shot a .22 mag/lr for almost 20 years and can count the number of FTFs on my fingers and toes. I've also conducted my own version of ballistics tests (just shooting at various objects of different materials and thickness) and can tell you that a .22 mag provides plenty of penetration, even with the use of hollow points.

11. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

heh... shhhh.. dont tell anyone.. if they straighten it out my precious 9mm will get more expensive. :p

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Robo said rimfire is a poor choice for self defense. He is a cop and firearms instructor.

You have just purchased your first handguns this year and more recently your first semi-auto.

Which one would you listen to? Wise up.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You could also use a brick for self defense - you'd never have to buy that evil expensive ammo. The bottom line is how much is YOUR life worth? Robo is wise and experienced and has shared good advice (maybe he'll forgive the hair comment?). As far as getting follow up shots on target - that's why we all train & practice with our caliber(s) of choice.

FYI due to where I work, I have a .380 pocket gun as my primary SD weapon. On the weekends I'm likely to strap on a .45 and I practice with both - and others. If a .22 was all that was available I'd use it but I would never CHOOSE a .22 as a self defense gun...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Neither is a great choice. But if that's all that was available, the .380 would suffice.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What he said.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Well put. I wouldn't classify either of these as being a "great" self defense round, but both are better than nothing. I know. . . everyone loves the .380 it's made vast improvements in recent years, every CC class tells you it's the best thing since sliced bread, etc., etc. :rolleyes:

Fact is: Neither of these rounds are far superior to one another. They are very different. If your experience with firearms is limited and you can't afford to train with the .380, then why not a .22 mag that you could plink LR through all day every day for pennies?

The advancement/development of skills is more important than the ballistics of a given cartridge being used. I'm sure every cop or firearms instructor would agree. A brick is only better than nothing if you have a decent throwing arm. . .

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  17. dantherese

dantherese New Member

been there done that it ain't fun

Although I have never been on the business end of a .380 and I do carry a Kel-tec P3AT with the crimson trace laser... I was shot at point blank (accidently) with a 22 LR a few years back... it was pretty nasty.... I was hunting in Pa in the winter with heavy clothing on.... it penetrated the heavy cloths, my flesh about 3 inches and exploded (hollow point Rem Viper) hit me in the right thigh and dropped me in my tracks... felt like I was hit with a base ball bat.... I have a six inch scar and they took out about two lbs of me... that had been turned into ground meat... I can not imagine being hit with a .22 mag at any distance!
    At close range the 22 mag delivers comparable energy to a .223 at some distance... no its not a 45... but if someone made a 22 mag comparably compact to my P3AT, it would be my carry gun... I own several handguns.... Kimbers, S&W, Sprinfields etc.... way to much money wrapped up in them (men, boys, toys..... you know the saying...) but at the end of the day the kel-tec fits in my pocket and is there always..... However I do wish someone would make a compact version of the 22 mag!
    Oh yea I did own a Tauras revolver 22 mag but it was to bulky I may as well have used my compact 45..... Just my thoughts

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most of the time that is correct. I have experienced a lockup on a revolver where the bullet lodged in the forcing cone and had not exited fully from the chamber. When it happened, it locked up the revolver. Although a rare instance, it does happen

19. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I've probably fired over 100,000 rounds of rimfire ammo in the past 20 years as opposed to maybe 5,000 rounds of centerfire ammo, and I've experienced considerably more misfires with the centerfire rounds. Do the math---20 times as much ammo, yet fewer misfires in the rimfire. A lot fewer. I'm not saying the .380 is not the superior round to the .22Mag, but I wouldn't want to try and live off the difference. All I'm saying is that, in my experience, the attitude that rimfire is unreliable is horse hockey.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you use fresh ammo AND do not jostle it around too much, the rimfire is not a bad choice. IMHO neither are even close to ideal for SD. The .380 is best relegated to back up and the rimfire could be a decent third gun.