380 acp ammunition

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by R1D2, Mar 11, 2014.

1. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

What's your take in why 380 acp is so hard to find. Have you found any? I have not found some in a long while. So have you found some??

2. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

It's expensive too. I went by gander mountain yesterday in Cary NC and they had plenty of Speer Lawman,Winchester,and Blazer it was all $25 a box. I hated to do it but I picked up a box. Bass Pro was out then my LGS was open so I stopped in. They had plenty of HPR hollow points in 50 round boxes for $28 dollars. Had to buy one box there as well. The HPR bullet is the XTP.

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I can usually find it at Walmart, and even at a reasonable price. But I think the prices on ammo are going up because there has been, in the last couple of years, a greatly increased demand. The ever-popular Department of Homeland "Security" has been buying up ammo at a scary rate. Even though they don't buy .380 ACP ammo, the price goes up because the manufacturers cut down on that ammo in order to use the machinery, brass, copper, lead, primers (the raw materials), and powder to make the ammo with a high demand. So the shortage of other stuff causes the price to go up.
    Apparently the DHS is preparing for a civil conflict.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I applaud the authors efforts. Virtually all of hollow point rounds he selected had penetration issues in a 5 round test. Only one Hornday HP load was able to penetrate 12' all 5 times, despite all the other loads that did fail with the same Hornday bullet. How many times would the HP bullets have failed if he had done 25 round tests? Virtually every HP he tested had 2 failures to penetrate in 5 shots, even one he selected. He was only testing each brand of ammo for 5 rounds.

6. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

I have noticed a change in price tag at some places, even wally mart. The tags were lower than 24 dollars now most are showing 25 and over. Even though they don't have the ammo. Last I seen some was on a trip to Ala bam. Got 2 boxes maybe 2- 3 months back.

7. CGS

CGS New Member

I always got a kick out of 380 costing more than 9mm even though it's a smaller bullet and uses less powder and shorter case. One would think that it would cost less than 9mm since it has fewer raw materials. However I suppose supply and demand dictates that many many many more people shoot 9mm so the suppliers can churn out larger batches and since people buy more of it the margin is much less. Just my thoughts.

I buy my FMJ plinker range ammo reloads by the case. I have had no problem finding defensive 380 either.

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

I found some at Gander Mountain. Blazer Brass. They wanted $24.95 for a box of 50. Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The factories are producing what the buying public is demanding. 9MM, .223 and .308. Supply and demand, pure and simple.

10. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

No defensive .380 here but a 100 round box of Winchester was around $56.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app