38 Special Snubies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JTJ, Jun 29, 2017.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone did not do their homework and it cost some big money. I did not know about that cartridge. I will have to look for load data since it would be a hand load and I dont have any of the old revolvers. I have a lot of 38 spl brass and I was planning on loading 158 grain subsonic for my 357 rifle. That is if the Hearing Act passes. I was thinking of a more efficient cartridge for the load.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. seedy

seedy Member

I've had several 38 snubs and have always thought that the cartridge was too long for a short barrel. I bought a charter arms pitbull on 40 sw thinking that the short 40 sw would give better performance with its short barrel. I compared it to 2 other 40's that I have namely a glock 23 and a H&K vp40 . they are both have 3 1/2 to 4 inch barrels . I found out that my reloaded 165 keith style wadcutters with tenth grain from top gave me a velocity of about 1025 fps in the pitbull. Some walmart italian 170's were about 975 fps. M. y glock and hk were only about 25 to 50fps faster with the commercial ammo. The only bad thing is that it split the web of my hand with its recoil. It took me a couple of weeks to get rid of the flinch.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is not broke don't fix it!!!;) The 38 sp has been and still is the 'basic' SD caliber. That said, the 9x19 is the most efficient short bbl round in the world. So if you can fire it from a 'snubbie' (2 in bbl) you would have a more effective SD round and it would eject much easier. Several years ago I cut back the 38 case and loaded it with various bullets and got very good performance and they ejected fine. It just became to much trouble to trim the cases and make my own.

4. seedy

seedy Member

I have no problem with the 38spl being a good defensive round, I reload but am getting lazy in my old age,40 sw is more available and even cheaper than the 38.simply due to its popularity which now is on the wane. I don't think long straight wall cartidges do perform
    well with short barrel , the 22 mag is ,,and in that vain. prime example when compared to a 22lr . I'll go out on a limb and say the 327 fed is a lousy round in a snub, its like a rimmed 30 carbine round. I have quite a few handguns and pocket cannons are fun to play with. My carry gun is of course a glock 43.

Rifling82 and headspace like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The new HST round is specifically designed for short barrels but is taken from a round used in the 50"s. Some police were using reversed 148 grain hollow based wadcutters in their back up guns. The main advantages now are better powders, a jacketed bullet at +P and the reduced case capacity which gives more consistent velocities. Reasons why I wanted a shorter case.

6. headspace

headspace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a 327 fed snubby is pretty LOUD too.:eek:

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. noylj

noylj Member

Regarding the shorter .38 Spl of same volume as 9x19.
    1) It has to be designed to NOT fit in any .38 Spl. Maybe most modern .38 Spl revolvers could take the pressure, I don't know, but there are a boat load of older revolvers that couldn't handle it.
    2) It has to have some REAL advantage over a .357 Magnum, and not just be better than the .38 Spl by some small amount. Try a 200gn bullet in your 9x19 and see where that gets you.
    3) It would NOT take a wadcutter, unless the WC was very short and light. The 148gn WC was designed for accuracy out to 50 yards and lighter WCs won't give the same accuracy out that far.

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. JimRau

First see my post (#24) on the thread titled HOLLOW POINTS. And I just got my hands on the S&W Body Guard and I like it, BUT I noticed the cylinder turns opposite if the other S&W revolvers!!!o_O

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you do you can only squeeze so much out of a 2” barrel and if you use premium ammo loaded with a light bullet I doubt anyone shot with it will notice any velocity inconsistencies or the difference in bullet performance. There is nothing wrong with a 2” .38. It has been doing a decent job of SD in the hands of trained people, well enough for a looooooooooong time.

JimRau and Rifling82 like this.
  10. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Truly, do you swear? It turns Coltwise? I never heard that before!

11. JimRau

Roget that!:D The first time I pulled the trigger I noticed that as I trained with S&W's my whole life and we trained to 'stage' our rounds by the rotation of the cyl.:)