38 Smith and Wesson Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Colorado Gun Forum' started by johnr710, Sep 26, 2020.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would still suggest 148 wadcutters for a snubby. Much easier to control.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. johnr710

johnr710 New Member

I live in Lone Tree and love it!

3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a good subject to talk about, maybe pin it for new shooters that are scrolling the internet, maybe someone do a write up on using the correct ammo etc

4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I should have enlarged the picture. Speer makes a special JHP Gold Dot round for short barrels. It is 38 special+P but still not a handful like some. It is the best round hands down for SD ammo out of a snubby. Good luck finding any right now. Like someone else said, practice with standard but load this up for carry.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

J&G sales in Phoenix AZ is supposed to have ammo in stock and will ship.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. johnr710

johnr710 New Member

man, more confused than usual, lol, need to read these tomorrow and figure out what to buy!! Thanks for all the input!!!

7. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

To shoot your gun, get .38 special target loads.... for self defense, you’ll want a hollow point

8. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Simple really. Right now take what you can get.

JTJ and Rifling82 like this.
  9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

For many years my carry gun was a Smith Airweight snubby(model 37). I started with 148 gr wadcutters. But they shot high and I tried several different kinds of ammo. I settled with 115 gr jacketed hollow points. The light weight bullets were much nicer to shoot but the biggest reason I picked them was because they shot at point-of-aim.

JTJ likes this.
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

John, glad you found us, and welcome.

First, as has been said, the caliber is .38 Special. In addition to the live searches, you can shop on-line. Here is one search engine: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/38-special

There is an industry group called SAAMI that sets standards for size and pressures for sporting ammo. The standard (ordinary) .38 Special follows that standard. Should be safe to fire in any gun marked .38 Special. Some rounds can be loaded to about 17% higher pressure- those are marked 38 Special +P. Not all guns should shoot that.

The projectiles (the part of a cartridge called a bullet) are made in different weights and shapes for different purposes.

[​IMG]
    On the left a jacketed hollow point- lead core, gilding metal jacket. Serious high enegy round used for self defense. Next is a wadcutter. Bullet is shaped like a can of soup, usually soft lead, moderate energy. Used to shoot clean neat holes in a paper target- will also shoot clean neat holes in you. It is NOT a blank. Next is a semi-wadcuuter- target load, often used in automatic pistols, since it will feed when wadcutters don't. Far right- traditional round nosed, the plain vanila bullet for general use. Happens to be full metal jacket- gilding metal covers all of lead core.

For the past 2 months, there has been a LOT of panic buying, and shelves tend to be empty. When you can get it, wold stick with wadcutter for the range. Winchester also loads a light full metal jacket round as one of their "white box" cartridges. Both have moderate recoil, and do not put a lot of stress on your gun. Next in line would be the regular 158 grain round nosed lead- stanadard cartridge for years. For defense- a jacketed hollow point- made to expand and create a more effective wound. Will have more recoil, and puts more wear and tear on the gun. Also damnably expensive.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

John
    I will confirm what many here have advised. For the Range and practice you need to get some Wadcutter lower powered loads. Or target loads! If you plan on shooting it quite a bit. use those. Then have your higher powered defense loads for Carry. The reason is if you shoot a whole lot of full power defense loads for a prolonged period you will damage the revolver. A limited amount of Defense loads will not hurt it and you need to experience how they shoot. C-3 shows a great picture of the Wadcutter second from the Left! I have shot thousands of them for training and competition and they are great for that and much less expensive.

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

My snubby Smith loves Winchester 130 grain fmj loads.

Rifling82 likes this.