357 vs 44 mag for hunting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by BRAD313, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Wich one is more accurate for hunting thinking about Geting into hunting with a hand gun trying to fig what I want or 454 cas.

2. slewfoot

slewfoot New Member

the accuracy of the round isn't likely going to be an issue at the ranges you are going to be shooting a pistol for hunting, the bigger issue is how accurate are you with the particular pistol you have in your hand.

3. Speezly

Speezly New Member

Ruger Super Blackhawk. Nuff said. .44 is the way to go.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have heard people experienced with both calibers say that the .44 magnum is more accurate than the .357 magnum.The .44 magnum is certainly what you want for hunting a deer sized animal,the .357 could do the job but a .44 magnum is alot better.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

And then there is the 41 magnum.

6. slewfoot

slewfoot New Member

All the magnums including 357 will work fine for deer hunting, anyone who says u need a 44 mag to hunt deer will probably also say you need a 300 win mag to hunt deer, many calibers will work fine its a matter of personal preference and what you can shoot proficiently.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Can't go wrong with .44

8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Both the .41 magnum and .44 Magnum make very good revolvers for hunting, as well as the .45 Colt. However, the .45 generally takes a handloader to get the most out of it. And .41 Magnum ammunition is not as easily found as is the .44 Magnum.

All three can be enhanced by judicious handloading, but the .44 has the widest selection of components.

Probably the biggest drawback to the .41, in my opinion is that it is not a halfway between in relation to the .357 and .44, but is too near a duplicate of the .44.

Bob Wright

9. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

.44 Do you feel lucky........WELL DO YA PUNK. That line alone decides it.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Unless your planing in hunting grizzly with a handgun you don't need a 454cassul. But you can shoot both mild and hot 45lc. So it may depend on what handgun you buy. The 44mag is easy to find good ammo in any gun shop and is a better hunting cartidge over the 357. The 357 is fine for close range work with hevy loads but you need skills. Both are very accurate. nether is better than the other. Rugers SRH is a great hunting handgun setup to add optics too.

11. mcb

mcb New Member

For hunting I like a 44. Lots of great handloading options.

12. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I go with the 44 mag. It will take down any game in North America.

Just be sure you know how to shoot, and good with it, before you go hunting.

Mine is S&W

DSCN0453_182.jpg

13. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

So I went to the gun store today after work not one 44 or 454 and only some snub 357 LOL they don't have **** in stock

14. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

The .44 mag is just a super cartridge for all around hunting in North America. Lots of variety in component selection, superb accuracy available at all power levels, great selection of arms to suit the individual and the power of the cartridge is manageable by most dedicated enthusiasts.

I adore the .357 magnum in a nice 6" DA revolver; pretty to look at, does a good number of things quite well but its not going to match the versatility and efficacy of the .44 in the hunting fields. I love my 6" GP100 and carry it often in the field when I'm not hunting. Great solution for varmints of both the biped and quadriped persuasion. And just fun to shoot, period. When I go out after deer the 5.5" Super Blackhawk in .44 gets the nod. I've shot muleys with both cartridges and the .44 is noticeably more effective at any range.

If you're after a hand gun that will be primarily a hunter then go with the .44.... and add the .357 later when the budget allows. A feller probably ought to own a good hand gun in both these excellent cartridges.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .44 Mag. is a great all around back country handgun. The 310 grs. Flat points can hammer about any thing. I load the little .44 Russians for small game. The .44 Specials can be loaded for great target rounds. I have 30-40 Krag brass rims turned and trimmed using .410 wads and #8 shot to take grouse. My old 29-2 has taken Elk, Antelope. Mule Deer grouse rabbits and one old Lion.:)

Attached Files:

16. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Went shoping today still no luck on any gun LOL this sucks

17. Speezly

Speezly New Member

So very true

18. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Found a tauras in 357 today for 479 6 in bar. Is this a good gun for the night stand can't find no 44mag

19. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I am happy to say I have both. :)

20. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Is that a new or used price? Don't know that I would want a revolver for home protection. Little light on capacity. If it were all I had, it would be serviceable but not ideal.

With that said, I picked up a Taurus .44mag last week and I feel a revolver addiction coming on.