.357 V. .44 (hand-ability)

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by oZEKIANYXo, Jun 15, 2012.

1. oZEKIANYXo

oZEKIANYXo New Member

i am of a young age, (a age that i will not disclose) and i have shot 1 revolver which was a colt snub nose, not sure about the model or caliber. I was just wondering what would be a good revolver for the hands of a youth. i can kinda shoot a 12 gauge but pistols are a different scenario. please help me, im looking for something that is still bad ass dirty harry smith and Wesson stuff.

2. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

A 44 magnum for someone your age Im assuming you are a teenager is just to much gun. If you can afford it buy a 357 magnum with a 5 or six inch barrel and shoot 38 specials out of it. On days you want to be a bad ass you can shoot 357 magnums out of it. I paid about 500 dollars for my ruger gp 100 in 357 magnum and I just really enjoy this gun.

3. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I have a ruger sp101. It might be something you would like...only problem is if your under 21 you might have a hard time obtaining a handgun.

4. 505productions

505productions New Member

U could go with the 44 special

5. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Agreed, my father has the SP101 great little gun and the GP ones are great as well, they shoot forever, look great in stainless, are well priced and did i mention, shoot forever? :D

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
    We have a section for "Introductions" and your input there would be appreciated.

The type of firearm you are looking for (your description of the firearm you want makes you sound like a wanna-be, by the way) is often found used.
    Some believe they have the gonads for a .44 mag and find out that they are better suited by a .22lr to start with. So they fire maybe 6 rounds of the .44 and then get rid of the gun.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Are you even old enough to buy one?

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

I have both and would suggest a .357mag. It's cheaper to shoot using .38spl for practice and has more than adequate power using .357mag. for hunting or SD. The .44mag is ill-mannered, (forget quick second shot target acquisition), and expensive to shoot, even using .44spl. That said, if size really matters, go for the .44mag.

9. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Self defense or cool looking?

How much money is in the piggy bank? (no disrespect intended)

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Used service six or security six (ruger) are great guns. And 4" barrels are good.

11. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

.357 would be cheaper to shoot. Have you though about a .45 LC? Larger bullet then a .357 but not the lick of a .44 mag. (But is expensive to shoot unless you re-load). For a first gun I would look for a used Ruger Blackhawk in .357. Fun gun to shoot.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

without disclosing your age, i am highly doubtful you are anywhere near ready for anything such as a 44 magnum. i think you would better suited to starting with a 22 as suggested. IMO eve the 357 might be much too much gun for someone your age. start with a 22 and learn to shoot a pistol first then work your way up to the larger calibers. a large caliber magnum handgun coming back from the recoil and breaking your nose or splitting your scalp ain't fun. wonder how i know? from experiance! get the 22. you'll have plenty of fun shooting it without hurting yourself.

i do have a pistol in 44 magnum with a 4" barrel, and trust me it's a definate handful to shoot. i shoot it quite regularly with some hot handloads.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  13. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

Go with a 357. My first revolver was a Heritage Rough Rider 22, got it at 14. My second a Rossi 357 mag with a 4 inch barrel. I was 15 when I got the 357. Lol of course with a little help from my Mom. Then when I hit 17 I did some trading with my dad and got his S&W model 629 44 mag. Love them both but at that age I really enjoyed my 357. 357 is cheaper and more controllable for a teen. At that age I could hit with the 44 but after a while my rist got sore. I became a gun nut at a young age. Go smaller, then go big.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Why does everyone keep posting. The kid has not posted anything since his/her first post and clearly is not of legal age or mature enough for a handgun, given the content of his/her question......

Jim...........................

15. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Check your local laws either way when it comes to shooting handguns.I assume you are wanting for a parent to buy themselves a handgun and you "borrow" it to shoot at a range or private property.In some states that ok but in some where handguns need to be registered-it's highly illegal for you to possess it.

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

That's true,and sometimes it's the opposite way,I have a girlfriend that shot my .44 mag revolver with standard pressure 240gr magnums,handled it like it was nothing and is dead set on that when she gets her own gun it's going to be a .44 mag or bigger. :p

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

As far as age goes I got "my first" centerfire handgun when I was 16. My dad had to buy it and it technically belonged to him, but it was mine, because I was the one interested in shooting. My parents were very involved in helping me get good instruction and taking me to a range on a regular basis to practice and shoot some local competitions.

My first was Ruger Blackhawk in .357. I also ended up getting a Lee loader kit that required the use of a hammer to reload ammo. I mostly shot wadcutter rounds for bullseye shooting, and most were .38 special rounds.

If you are serious about getting into shooting and your parents are involved then good for you. I recommend the .357, because it is more economical and you are more likely to find frame sizes to fit younger hands. .44 specials are fairly gentle but ammo is still more pricey. Learn fundamentals first, and that is going to require a lot of shooting. So .38s are going to be cheaper. Even better is a .22. I had a Smith and Wesson K frame .22 that was a great handgun for learning on. Great trigger, great sights, good ballance, very accurate and affoardable to shoot a lot more than my .357.

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I got my first .357 (3 screw Ruger) in 6th grade :)

19. 505productions

505productions New Member

Get a 357 and shoot 38 specs out of it. Then go to the mags

20. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

What kind of experience do you have with handguns at all? Whats the largest you have handled? I started shooting my grandpas ruger single 6 with 22lr. Start with a .22 and work up.