357 to bring along deer hunting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by reloader97, Jun 2, 2012.

1. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

I have my mind set on a ruger sp101. The barrel lengths available are 2.25 3ish or 4.2. Which of the 3 would be best to finish of a deer. I am new to this sight so im sorry for asking so many questions

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Well, the sp101 is a great gun. I have one. It is very accurate with the right ammo. But if you are going to use this gun just for deer hunting I suggest you look into the ruger gp100. They offer a nice .357 wheelgun with the option for a longer barrel than the sp101(6inches). But if I had to pick one of barrel lengths you mentioned I would take the 4.2.

3. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

I want to keep the weight down so that it does not make me not want to carry it

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The 4.2in barrel on an sp will not be that heavy. My grandpa has a 44. Super redhawk 6in barrel and really its not bad, 4.2in wont be a problem

5. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

I'll have to keep an eye out for one the only ones I have seen locally are with the 2.25 and 3 1\16

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The 3in would be ok if you can hit a 3in target from 25yards consistently

7. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

Do you know if the sights are adjustable on the 3in model?

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I dont but all the info should be on rugers website

9. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

The we sight says they are not many smith & Wesson has one like this with adjustable sight. Thank you for the help

10. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

That came out way wrong

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

You cant go wrong with a s&w, are you on a budget? I would with ruger, colt, then s&w

12. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

500 dollars is the maximum I will pay

13. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

I have a colt detective special with a broken firing pin but I hate to shoot it because they are not made anymore

14. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

But I am not sure it would consistently and humanly kill an animal

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Go to a decent gunsmith and have them fix it. Shouldnt run more then 400-500

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you are deer hunting with a pistol, then check your states game regulations, as some states have caliber and barrel length minimums as to what can be used. most people that deer hunt with a pistol prefer at least an 8" barrel to boost velocity some and also many mount scopes on their pistols. but, first check your states regulations so that if there are limitations or minimums as to barrel lengths or caliber, you can then shop accordingly. be a shame to buy a pistol that you could not legally hunt with after spending a bunch of money on it for deerhunting.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Op, you said to finish off a deer? Check your states laws, in Ohio you can cc, but NOT use it for hunting, and you can't hunt with two guns. Just a FYI...

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

True what primer said no your state laws first . IF legal to use second weapon to finish a deer and if you own a .22lr handgun take it for finishing a deer or hog? Place that round in behind the ear its all over. If you make a solid shot with a bow or firearm give it 10 to 20 minutes before looking, most times it will have long been died. Press it to quick even with a good shot and a deer can make a last dash for freedom and run a good ways. If a bad shot, then stop and shoot it with your main hunting weapon from a smart distance. Then buy the 357 mag you really want.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

As I was reading the other post, this is exactly what I was thinking. I have an old, inexpensive H&R 9 shot .22 revolver that would be great for the purpose mentioned. If this revolver gets beat-up, rained on, muddy, it is ok.

20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The local game officer came to my neighbors house to put down an injured doe, he used a 10-22