357 sig

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Glock-357, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Glock-357

Glock-357 New Member

What round would prefer? 357 sig or 40 s&w

2. genesis

genesis New Member

It's a horse a piece. They're about equal in performance. I'd go with the 40 cause it's a straight walled case and easier to reload. But if you prefer the Sig, then go for it.

Don <><

[​IMG]

3. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

.357 it's easier to handle the recoil on follow up shots IMO.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You can buy 40 s&w in most sporting goods stores these days. 357 sig not so much.

5. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Cost of ammo and availability made my choice for me...40S&W is my choice. I reload several calibers, and prefer to stay away from the bottle neck pistol calibers. I will say, though, that for reliable feeding, the .357 Sig is a great round. And since I like to play with various calibers, I do have an aftermarket .357 Sig barrel for my G27. I try and buy ammo when I see it available, at a descent price. I do not carry .357 Sig as my ammo of choice, however. The local police all carry .40S&W and so do I...when I am not armed with my G36 that is!!

6. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Do you feel much difference in recoil, between 357Sig and 40 S&W in the G27? I've been thinking a barrel would be a inexpensive way to try the round out. Thanks

7. yogiboobooranger

I don't notice much change in recoil between the two calibers. Probably a little more snap and twist from the .40...357 Sig just more push I think. Never shoot both at the same time so I don't really pay that close attention.

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Is .40 a NATO round? Just curious.

9. yogiboobooranger

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

And there you have it.

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

.357SIG ain't very hard to reload, same as doing any other necked round like .223 or .308...
    ya just gotta have the equipment to do it...

Personally, they shoulda named it 9mmMagnum...which is more truthful ;)

12. genesis

genesis New Member

Just an FYI:

I reload for my Ruger SR40C. I load just light plinking loads. I use the Lee Tumble Lube 175 grain SWC and 3.6 grains of Winchester 231 powder. Velocity is around 750 FPS and recoil is super mild. It sure is fun to shoot! This load functions my gun just fine. Not one glitch so far. This is the same powder charge I use in my 38 specials with the Lee Tumble Lube 148 grain full wad-cutter. I don't have to change the powder charge when switching calibers. I recycle the lead from my sand trap which is mostly wheel weights so I kinda keep the velocity down. No leading and excellent accuracy from both loads. My only recurring costs are for powder and primers, so I can reload just about any pistol ammo for $2 a box.

Bought 2000 once-fired 40 S&W cases from TopBrassReloading for $70 plus $12 for shipping. It was really good stuff, all cleaned and polished.

https://www.topbrassreloading.com/products-page/auto-pistol-brass/

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/

Don <><

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

.357 sig is like a pissed off 9mm, .40 a shorter weaker (S&W) version of 10mm auto.

Now, the Sig's recoil impulse is much less snappy, pushes back more, the .40 has a lot of muzzle flip.

The .40 is cheaper to shoot factory ammo and reload for tho....

I prefer the sig, personally. Price be damned.

14. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Well I haven't done any hill billy ballistics testing with either one *I'm not sayin I'm above that because I have with 9mm lol* but as far as general shooting I Much prefer the .357 and IMO a better round than the .40

15. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

16. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

I just bought a Gen3 G22. Very nice shooter. Going to buy a 357sig barrel to drop in, as the 357sig is a great round. IMO.

17. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I have both barrels for my Glock and I feel almost no difference in recoil but the 40 is a little more accurate, ammo is cheaper and easier to find. I like both though.

18. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I've got the G31 and I love it, think the .357 sig is a great round. But I am going to buy a .40 cal barrel to drop in it purely to save a bit of money and to be able to shoot it more. I probably should get into reloading...

19. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I'm pretty sure the 9 barrel fits as well

20. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Think the 9mm has to be a conversion barrel doesn't it?