.357 sig vs 10mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by cakesterkiller, May 5, 2012.

1. cakesterkiller

cakesterkiller New Member

this isn't about the guns they're shot out of this is about the performance of the rounds in every aspect

im already putting in a vote for the .357 sig... ready go

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i dont own either but ill go for a 10mm

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It depends on your application. The 10mm is awesome and the 357 is no slouch either. My choice was the 10mm short, y'know 40S&W.

4. yamaharyder369

yamaharyder369 New Member

Yea I went with the 10 mm f.b.i. Aka 40 S&W. Wish I could afford both a 10mm and a 357 sig.

5. cakesterkiller

cakesterkiller New Member

yeah i got the .40 first and it is always gonna be my favorite over the .357 sig and the .45 acp (those are what I have) I went out and bought the conversion barrel (lone wolf) for my g22 that makes it the .357 sig (g31)

and I know a few people that converted their g20 into the .40 (also thanks to lone wolf)

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. Grim

Grim New Member

I'd pick 10mm.

7. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

The full length 10MM (not 40S&W) is about as powerful as a 41 magnum. The 357 SIG (which I have and really like) is made to equal the 357 magnum with 124/125 grain bullets. Different animals. For self protection, I'd go with the 357, for hunting, the 10MM.

8. msup752

msup752 New Member

I carried and shot several .357 sig pistols for years. It is a dream for reloaders. The round is very effective and lots of fun to shoot plus it fits in the same size frame guns as the .40 SW. A barrel change will convert .357 to 40 or vice versa as already pointed out. I had both .40 and .357 sig and never shot the .40.
    The 357 sig is loud, has a significant flash, especially when loaded with Power Pistol powder,and has snappy recoil.

10mm requires a larger frame pistol. There are fewer pistol choices and it has a stout recoil that seriously limits follow up shots. As mentioned, 10mm is great for hunting but .357sig is great for concealed carry and range shooting.

Another plus to .357 sig is that recently I have seen retailers selling HP ammo for cheap prices to clear them out. Not sure if manufacturers are discontinuing them or if the popularity is decreasing.

9. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I've never fired a 10mm but have a Sig 229 357 sig and thats what the Secret Service carry .So if the 10mm were better i'am sure they would be carrying the 10mm instead but thats just what i think

10. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have both the .357 Sig and 10mm in my arsenal. I couldn't honestly say which round is better, because I use them for totally different applications. My Sig .357 round is mainly used for home defense. While my 10mm round is used for competition. The recoil on both come up about similar, on non modified handguns. The price of the ammo is more expensive that most traditional ammo, but .357 ammo has come down just a tad.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The 10mm as designed by Norma.
    Not the commercial loads of today.

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

10mm period.

If the grips too big, go cry in a big bowl of 40 short and weak.

10mm is very versatile. From uber light IDPA rounds, to full bore +p rounds, 357sig is weak sauce. Plus, who wants a bottleneck pistol round?

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

What's wrong with a bottle neck pistol round? You're putting a .355 diameter bullet into a .40 (or so) hole. It ups the reliability factor. Yes the 10MM is a versatile and powerful round. I happen to like it a lot, but it's not for everyone. The 357 SIG is weak sauce? It's got a very good real world stopping record. Maybe you are man enough to not mind getting shot with it, not me thank you very much.

14. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Both are difficult to find on the shelf so reloading will be required if you plan to shoot a lot. 10 mm is going to be much easier to reload. My vote would be for the 10 mm. And for the record the 10 mm is no where near as powerful as a 41 magnum. Do the math.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Can I shoot you with my 22? I'm refraining from speaking my mind here.

Do you reload? .

Sure, its a 9mm projectile In a 40 parent case..... 40 being dumbed down from a 10mm.

So I ask ... 9x25 Dillon anyone?

Its got real world stopping record? For the record, how many individuals have YOU stopped with it?

The Pottawatomie Indian Reservation Police carry 10mm . When asked why, he replied "ever try to stop a drunk Indian .. "

Argue till yer blue. 10mm is superior.

16. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Chill pill, Dude. My comment about getting shot with a 357 wasn't in any way a threat to you, I'm just trying to point out that your comment about the 357 being "weak sauce" is false. Ever read Street Stoppers by Marshall and Sanow? Very interesting stuff there. Yes I reload. Try finding ammo for the 9X25 Dillon. Is the 357 SIG the ultimate, most wonderful do all caliber made? No, neither is the 10MM. Nothing can do it all. There is such a thing as too much power and over penetration can be and is a problem. Yup you can load the 10MM down but then you have a 40 S&W. There's a reason the 44 mag isn't the worlds best man stopper and it's because it's too powerful for that purpose. Hunting round? Yes it's a great one. 10MM is superior? In some ways yes, it some ways no. To me it's one of the better calibers out there and as I said, I like it but it's not the be all and end all, that's all I'm sayin'.

17. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I have no problems at all finding 357SIG ammo. For the most part you are correct. There are some loadings that are very similar between the two calibers but the 41 can be loaded to be quite a bit more powerful than the 10MM. It really is between the 357 Mag and the 10. I think most similar rounds are more controllable in a semi mostly because semi-auto's sit lower in the hand for the most part and recoil feels less.