.357 sig question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jeffkaiser1989, Nov 1, 2013.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

Hey guys i was just looking around gander today and came across a few guns chambered for .357 sig. I have never heard of this round and was wondering if somebody could educate me about. Whats the recoil like? Are they hard to come by? Do they make good defensive rounds? Whats the penetration like? these are just some questions i have if anybody could help me out here id appreciate it thanks in advance

2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I've owned a Sig P239 in .357 sig and it was a nice gun to shoot, not terrible recoil. It's a bit snappy like a .40, but again not too bad. My reason for getting rid of it was ammo costs -way expensive for the amount I shoot. It does make a good defensive round, but practice won't come cheap. I reload, but didn't want the hassle of dealing with a necked handgun caliber.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Developed by Sig (probably obvious). It is a .40 case necked down to 9mm. This gives velocities close to a .357 mag, but not quite as powerful, in a auto loader using frame sizes that would accommodate the .40 S&W round with the same capacities as a .40 S&W. not too many manufacturers jumped on the band wagon. So there aren't that many guns for it. It's not that common of a round, and kind of expensive. Recoil is similar to a .40.

Being a sort if bottle necked cartridge it tends to feed pretty well.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It is liked by LE for its penetration. It shoots through a car door that would stop a 9, 40, or 45. For an armed citizen penetration is more of a liability, so not many carry it.

5. hmh

hmh New Member

All of our state police have swapped to the .357 Sig.

6. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

The Secret Service also use it with Gold Dots. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

7. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I carry it in a M&P subcompact. If I could find a holster I liked I would go back to a 45. because of over penetration concerns. It is snappy but not terribly so.

8. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Basically a 9mm bullet necked down to a 40s&w case. Great ballistics, loud, nice muzzle blast. Little more snappy than 40 IMHO, but not by much. Great round, but expensive and less popular

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I think you got that backwards, kinda. Ya kint neck a 9 DOWN to a 10.;)

Just bustin' yer chops a bit. I get what you were saying. 9 bullet in a necked down .40 case.

10. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

A month or so back I picked up a Glock 32c which is chambered in 357 SIG. I've have a hell of a time finding some decently priced ammo but its popped up online for the same price as 45. I also picked up a 40 barre and conversion to 9mm so my one gun now can shoot all 3 calibers with some quick swaps.

I like the snappy recoil and high muzzle velocity in the c model and recommend it to you. If you reload it makes shooting the 357 more often cheaper and easier. Just my opinions

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Ammo is extremely expensive and hard to find. In my opinion it is not a fun gun to shoot at the range. There are a lot of law enforcement agencies abandoning the .357 Sig in favor of 9mm or 45 ACP.

12. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Yep, sorry for the wrong wording but that is what I meant

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'd say everyone pretty much hit the nail in the head.

It's an intriguing round to me, but I'm not intrigued enough to get a gun chambered in it anytime soon.

Go to youtube and check out tnoutdoors9 channel. He does a lot of good ammo testing, including with the .357 SIG.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ammo is a bit pricey and there are not a huge amount of pistols chambered in it. has some good ballistics and to me the recoil is similiar to the 40. in a full size pistol, it's not bad, buy might be a bit snappy in a smaller compact pistol.

15. zeke4351

zeke4351 Member

It is my favorite round and it was developed by Federal and Sig to try and match 357 magnum ballistics in a semi auto. Most people have never shot the true .357 Sig loading of 125 grains at 1450 fps and there is only one place that sells ammo that meets or exceeds that. Underwood ammo will test at 1500 fps with Buffalo Bore and Corbon coming in a little less. Speer Gold Dots advertise 1350 and 1375 fps in two different loads and they are not at all weak. Winchester and Remington both advertise 1350 fps and Federal HST at 1360fps. The full power load by Underwood does have more kick when shooting it but that is what I carry. The .357 Sig shoots flat and will penetrate just about everything except the human body where it stops and dumps tremendous energy. The Secret Service and some other federal agency's use it for that reason. The LE agencies that use it love it and it is not used more because of recoil and cost. Just because a box of ammo has .357 Sig written on it only means it will fit the gun. I won't even practice with the weak ammo. There is a lot more to ammo than gel testing and this round has a lot of street history. If you are going to try it be sure and use ammo as close to the original designed spec that you can find. I shoot it in a Sig P229 and P239.

Attached Files:

16. zeke4351

zeke4351 Member

I forgot to add this picture.

Attached Files:

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

.357 Sig is not even found in LGSs over in Europe. It would have to be ordered from the US. I think it is a fad, or US only phenomenon. I would go with a .40 or 10mm instead.

18. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Zeke, you did an exceptional job of stating the facts of the .357 Sig round. You were also dead-on in the velocities. I just wanted to expand a bit on your post.

The reason Sig and Federal were so adamant about this rounds' creation was the overwhelming success of the .357 Magnum round in real-world shootings. While companies like Coonan Arms believed that a firearm could be built around the already-existing cartridge, Sig wanted a cartridge with the exact same terminal ballistics that could take advantage of a semi-automatic platform and all of its benefits, such as double-stacked magazines.

Much analysis and work yielded exactly that in the .357 Sig. A 10-year study of real-world shootings including both the .357 Mag and .357 Sig have proven that the rounds are so close to being the same in terminal ballistics that their results are indiscernible from each other. The bullet used is the exact same in both rounds and the shouldered round feeds very reliably in the semi-auto platform.

This round is not similar to 9mm, .40 or 10mm in its design or performance. It is a proven fight-stopper just as its battle worn progenitor has proven to be. To equate it to any other round is to do it a disservice and cheat yourself out of what may be the best self-defense caliber for a semi-auto as proven in actual shootings.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. AR10

AR10 New Member

In a world where you cannot always shoot what you would normally shoot, ammo wise, and you need to keep your options open, .357 Sig is one more option.

You are tossing 9mm bullets at .40 pressures, velocities etc. What could be wrong with that?

I have a Glock 32. While I don't prefer this round over others, it is a good tool to keep around.

20. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Around here, 10mm is much harder to find than 357 Sig.