357 Sig, do people just not want it?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by spittinfire, Feb 22, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

So I've been looking at the 357 Sig round and various weapons chambered for it due to my recent LEO persuits. I know the round is a bit pricy to shoot and recoil is known to be a bit snappy but is the demand for them really that much lower? A quick search on gunbroker gave me some ammo that was priced close to 45 auto, so I could afford to shoot it and I'm a poor newlywed! (2 years in may, don't let me forget)
    I can by an XD in 357 Sig for a solid $100 cheaper then a 9, 40 or 45 all day long, same applies for the M&P, didn't look at gheys. I have introduced the topic.....discusss!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

During the ammo crunch there were times that the only ammo on the shelf was .357 Sig - so it isn't that mainstream. A fella I shoot with runs a lot of it thru his Sigs and it's a 9mm on steroids for sure. Doubt it will ever be a "common" round but if you can find reasonably priced ammo I see nothing wrong with it...

3. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

I bought a Ruger GP-100 a few weeks ago and had a hard time finding any .357 mag. All I could find is boxes of .357 Sig. Don't know if that really says anything about the effectiveness of the round, but it made me wonder.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use the .357sig for my personal carry. My local shop usually has it in stock all the time. It is mostly, the only thing, in stock when I look at Wally World.
    Price is about $22 a box, WWB Target. I paid $24 for a box of Speer Gold Dots, that I use when Carrying.

I enjoy Shooting it. Has a real nice feel and sound. Get a lot of people always asking what I am shooting.

Love my Sigma, to H*** with the Haters.

*been told not a good round for reloading. Could be another reason not popular with folks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. m72law

m72law New Member

the cheapest route would be (if you have a glock)they are like mustangs..everybody has one...:rolleyes:get a .357sig barrel for your glock and swap'em out when ever ya want to blast some .357's...them lil rds do FLY!....a bud of mine had a glock 20 10mm and bought a 357sig barrel...he said it would FTFeed when he tried using his 10mm mags..he switched to..40cal mags everything worked great...as for the recoil springs...idk if those have to be change too?but hell,you can get 31rd .40cal glock mags now for 25bucks...and a barrel for 100.00..i have a IIIgen glock22 and i wouldnt waste anymore money in that tupperware POS...anyone looking for a G22?...now a tupperware XD....NICE!!!!:D

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I like mine. It's a fast, accurate, and snappy round. Defense ammo will cost the same as 9mm or 40, but practice ammo can be spendy...just not common enough. I know Georgia Arms has some pretty decent prices if you buy in bulk though.

If you can get the 357sig for $100 cheaper, it might be worth considering. In most guns all you have to do is buy a drop-in 40sw barrel and you can shoot either caliber...everything else is interchangeable. And that extra barrel will probably only run you $100-150.

The performance you can get from your typical 4" barrel:
    125gr: 1400-1500 fps, 550+ ft lbs
    147gr: 1250 fps, 500+ ft lbs

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I fired a Glock in .357 Sig. Very accurate and light recoil. I outshot the owner of the gun. If I did not have 2 9mm a .45acp and a 10mm I might think of a .357 Sig.

8. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

So how is .357Sig as a caliber? I keep reading positive and negative, about like the .40S&W gets.

I know the .357 is a necked down .40, but this thread has made me a little curious as to getting a conversion barrel for my XDm for the .357.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

On paper (ballistically) it's pretty darn impressive. The statistics are great, and it'll perform just fine. I believe it's actually the choice of the Secret Service (in a Sig p229 as I recall). The down side is the price of ammo, and the snappiness that can make follow up shots a bit more challenging.

However, here's the one counterpoint I'd offer to someone in your position: You can buy 135-140gr 40sw rounds (CorBon, DoubleTap, others) that will replicate the performance of a 357sig across the board...so in that sense an extra barrel seems unnecessary.

10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Spitty, Does the NC State Patrol supply weapons to their officers? Alot of State agencies do.

11. spittinfire

Yes they do. S&W M&Ps in 357 sig which is why I'm so interested in it lately. I have no intentions of buying a weapon in this caliber, I'm just discussing it.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I see .357 Sig in the same light as .45 GAP - possibly useful if you don't have to buy your own ammo. Many LE agencies are fond of both of them while the public generally sees them as high priced options ammo wise...

13. spittinfire

357 Sig is a necked down 40. It's not really a 357 caliber, they used that as a marketing sceme. There were trying to replicate the 125gr 357 Magnum round due to it's well known ability as a man stopper. The 357 sig and 357 magnum do NOT interchange in any way shape or form. The sig comes close to the magnum but IMO, the magnum is still the champ no matter the bullet weight.
    357 Sig is actually a 9mm on steroids. It uses a .356 diameter bullet just like a 9 but pushes it A LOT faster. 125gr bullet is in the 1400fps area.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Good performance rounds, but not the most practical for the average Joe.

I'm happy with mine, but hindsight 20/20...probably woulda gone in a different direction (45acp p220). Having too much fun to unload the 357sig just yet though.

15. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Sorry, I mis-understood the meaning of your post.

16. spittinfire

If you've got an opinion to add, please feel free.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Texas DPS was the first (IIRC) to adopt the Sig round. They wanted it specifically to punch holes in cars. Most of their officer involved shootings occur in and around cars/trucks. The .45 was just not sufficient. The Sig round is available in several different loadings. DPS uses a .357 Sig load that has a very shallow hollow point. It does go through car doors VERY well. It does, however, tend to overpenetrate soft targets. Speer makes another 125 gr HP that has a deep hollow point and should expand exceptionally well in a soft target.

18. spittinfire

Punching thru car doors/glass is exactly why the NCHP selcted it.