Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many police officer that hated to give up their 357 Magnum revolvers, when their departments went to a semi-auto handgun.

The 357 Mag has a outstanding reputation for stopping a bad guy! The 125 gain hollow point traveling around 1,400 fps. was one of best, if not the best defensive handgun rounds produced.

Since the 357 Sig also has a 125 grain hollow point traveling around 1,400 fps. does this make it just as effective as the 357 Magnum?

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The .357 sig. bullet is actually a .355” diameter (9 m.m.) so its pretty close diameter wise. I am still working up hand loads for my P226, and my Lyman book lists 1400 fps as about the maxload for a 125 gr. Speer Gold Dot, depending on powders, I’m still down in the 1200-1300 fps range, but still a fast bullet.
Interesting question though, My Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag has a helluva lot more recoil than my Sig P226 .357 sig. I guess a range report is in order, as I have never had them both out at the same time.
Thanks for the idea, maybe next weekend:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Dang, I've been had again:D:D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yeah , I’ll still try it Shihan, even after posting to a 3 year old Glock thread, Funny Stuff:eek:
I was just going to shoot steel plates though, and see which did the most damage, I think I know that answer already though:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
In fact I do!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
O.K. I,ll have to load some 10mm, cause I can't find them in the store.
Might take a little longer for a range report!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
No, I must do this soon, ihis question has been bothering me for a long time now:D

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I would be interested in those results myself.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I have a 357 sig in a model 229 sig. I can cast bullets for it now which is not easy. You can shot cast bullets in a sig pistol.

patret

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hard to Find 357 sig ammo

just a note, I have had a hard time finding 357 Sig ammo at a decent price but I recently found a good price and in stock at LuckyGunner

·
Registered
346 Posts
Range report

O.K. I,ll have to load some 10mm, cause I can't find them in the store.
Might take a little longer for a range report!
did you ever get to that range report? I read this and became very interested but saw no range report was ever listed.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I realize this thread has been necroposted but the 357 Sig can be nearly as effective as the 357 Magnum, it just depends on the loads. The 357 Mag will always beat the 357 Sig in flexibility because you don't have to worry about cycling and possibly damaging a semiauto - where a thick framed revolver can take more abuse.

But the semiauto loads can get real close and will be softer shooting than a revolver due to some of the recoil being used to reload and cock the action. Either is a fine choice, get both! :D

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I have had a Glock 31 for many years and i wouldnt trade it for anything.. Its a beast!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts