357 Revolver suggestions

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Shotgun Shooter, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I've been researching some different 357 revolvers and reading some reviews. I've liked what I read about the Taurus 6" model 66. Also, the S&W 586/686.
    Now, I'm not looking to spend more than $1,000. So what I'd like to know are any other 357 revolvers that you'd used and would recommend. I'm not picky on company, I just want to purchase one that doesnt have a history of problems. I'd prefer if the model had a good sized barrel.

Any recommendations are welcomed.
    Thanks.

S.S.

2. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I've been extremely, extremely happy with my Taurus 65 stainless steel. I wasn't REAL big on the grips though, but that's just due to my hand size, so I switched it out for a Hogue and I'm good to go.

Shoots straight, smooth and simple, and it's downright inexpensive. :)

Attached Files:

3. Shotgun Shooter

I've got medium sized hands, maybe. They aren't tiny, but not really that big. I can hold a 12 gauge comfortably, if that says anything. :)
    Thanks for your input. :)

S.S.

4. Stealie

Stealie New Member

Ruger GP100 or SP101. Ruger revolvers are built like tanks.

5. Shotgun Shooter

Thanks Stealie. I'll check those out.

EDIT: I've been seeing revolvers blowing up and/or barrel blowing off. What causes this?

S.S.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

+1 For the rugers.

I like taurus, but I'm not taking my chances with whatever they make them out of and their less than poor customer service. :p

I would also like to get the smith and wesson .41mag/.40S&w they now have. :cool:

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, is the intended use of the revolver concealed carry for defense, target, or shooting small armored vehicles? :rolleyes:

I have a few- am partial to S&W- especially my Mdl 66 with a 6" bbl. Accuate, reliable, fits my hand, great finish. However, I also have a Dan Wesson Mdl 15 that I bought back about 1977. Swap barrels (30 seconds) and you have a 2 inch for carry, a 4 inch for the range, or a 10 inch for hunting. The trigger pull on that one is as crisp as a fresh Pringle, and double action is smoother than a used car salesman. There HAVE been reports of varying quality over the years, but the one I have has won several matches, and taken 2 whitetail deer. For less than a grand, you should have your choice of several different makes. Shop carefully in the used market, and you could have 2-3 revolvers. :)

8. Shotgun Shooter

Well my main purpose would be an extra gun for HD and to target shoot.
    I suppose if I could get a CCW, I'd use it there.

I appreciate your response, c3shooter.

S.S.

9. Stormbilly

Stormbilly New Member

For HD and target shooting, I'd highly recommend the ruger GP-100. It is probably the strongest built .357 out there. One of the traditional knocks on this revolver, especially compared to S&W, is that it had a gritty trigger pull. I must say after handling a bunch of new ones, that their trigger is now very nice. On par with S&W, imo. This gun is cheaper and stronger than a S&W. It is a bit more expensive than a taurus, but will last much longer. Go get a GP-100, you won't regret it. :) And if you ever decide to CC, then pick up a Ruger SP-101 or LCR while you're at it too. :D

10. Clem

Clem New Member

The Ruger GP-100 is a super gun, particularly for the money. If money is no object, then consider the S&W 627. It is a stainless N frame Smith. The Pro has a 4" barrel and the PC has a 5" barrel. I really like 5" N frame Smiths. Mine is a super shooter.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I say GP100. I've owned several and they are the Timex of revolvers. ;)

12. Shotgun Shooter

Wow. I'm convinced to get a GP100. :)
    I like my ruger 10/22. Wouldnt mind a Ruger revolver :)

Thanks for all your responses. Big help. :)

S.S.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I should mention that I have had S&W models 629, 64, 19, 686 and a K22. The only Smith that I have at the moment is a model 37 Airweight and my wife has a model 60. Smith & Wesson makes an outstanding revolver.

Ruger revolvers that I have owned are three 6" GP100's, an SP101, a 4" Security Six, a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine, a Blackhawk in .357 magnum, a convertible Vaquero in .45ACP/.45 Colt, a .44 Vaquero. All were excellent firearms and the .30 Blackhawk was just a hoot to shoot.

If I were looking for an absolutely rock solid revolver, the GP100 is the one out of all of the above listed handguns gets my vote. :cool:

14. Shotgun Shooter

Thanks CA357.
    Your post makes me feel more confident about getting one.

S.S.

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

A good Ruger GP100 in 4" is going to be damn hard to beat. Not only are they designed to be "bombproof" They also shoot well. You can shoot .38s to practice & full house .357s for social work. I would highly recommend whatever you choose, to have a Wolff spring kit installed. It'll still be 100% reliable, but also reduce felt double action pull weight by 30-40%.

16. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

17. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Ruger revolvers are excellent, but I'm a bit partial to my S&W 686 (4" barrel). I've shot lots of .357s through it and I love it more every time I take it to the range. The double action is just the sweetest I've ever experienced, smooth and accurate. I've been carrying it lately (it's winter here).

For a year round carry revolver, the Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel is about perfect, IMHO. Perfect size and weight, a good balance between comfortable carry and easy shooting.

18. Shotgun Shooter

How much do those kits go for and how hard are they to install?

Thanks. Checking out the link now.

S.S.

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The spring kits are less than 15$ and if you are mechincally inclined, shouldn't be a problem to install. Wolff Springs at MidwayUSA

20. Stormbilly

Stormbilly New Member

a spring kit is cheap and possibly good to have, but I'd recommend shooting it before putting one in. I personally find the new (better) trigger pulls on the rugers to be good "as-is", but trigger pull is a personal preference.