.357 reloads

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MattyT, Jul 11, 2013.

1. MattyT

MattyT New Member

I've been reloading 38 spl for a little while now. I've used 800x powder since it came recommended from a friend. I'm wanting to start loading .357 as well. Can I load 357's with 800x? What about with small pistol primers? I guess I'm looking for a powder that can be used in both 38 and 357 if its possible. Also, which kind of primer should be used? Thanks

2. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

You might want to take a look at Bullseye. I use it for .38 and .357. That's if you can find it of it these days. good luck

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Its not a good powder for 357 or 38sp. very slow low powerd loads in 38sp. Find someone that loads smaller shotgun and try for a trade to something here- http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

You know you could have looked around your self to see how pratical it is to try to use the 800x.

4. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

My favorite for both .38 Special and .357 Magnum, as well as .44 Special and more, has become Hodgdon's HS-6.

It's extremely versitle.

Bob WRight

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I use AA#5 in .38 and .44 special. AA#9 in the magnum loads. I use Bullseye for other calibers but it is too fast a burn rate. Also leaves you open to double charging a case.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I use Power Pistol for my hot 357 load.

But if you want a tried and true recipe for 38 Special, you want 3.0gr of Bullseye. That's a kitty-cat load that is favored by a lot of competition shooters. Burn up that 800x and start buying Bullseye!

7. coonbait

coonbait Member

if you only want to use one powder for both rounds I would go with unique

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

At first glance (i've not tried it) 800X doesn't seem like an especially good powder for either. At least if one judges by the Hodgden guide.
    If you wish to stay in the Hodgden/IMR/Winchester powder family, IMHO you will be better served with either HP38/Win231(same stuff different packaging) or HS6. I use HS-6 for warmish to hot 9mm & .45 acp loads.

You might also want to consider Accurate #5 or #7. I use #5 for .357 (mid to low power), & .40 S&W. I haven't had a need to try it in .38 special, but I suspect it would do nicely.

Alliant: I will second the Unique Recommendation as well. It works well in most pistol calibers. I use in in 9 mm, .38 special & .45 acp. For full strength .357 I prefer 2400, however. For mildish loads, Bullseye will do nicely, though it's bit peaky for my taste when you wish to turn up the heat. My Dad reloaded just about everything handgun for decades with just these three Alliant (Hercules back when) powders. They are a bit dirtier than newer formulas, but they work well. It's been my observation that they tend to be a bit cheaper than many competitors.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog/alliantpowder-reloadersguide/

Primers: Depends on who you believe. I've been told and I've read that Magnum primers are only really necessary for Hard to ignite ball powders (Win 296 & H110 for example) I've not had any ignition issues with any of the powders I use when using standard SP primers.
    Note: this is a deviation from published data. Use proper load development to determine what works well for you & yours.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Titegroup is a great powder. I use it in every pistol cartridge I reload. It requires a low weight charge. So it goes a long way. And it can be tailored to how you like to shoot. Light to heavy no problem. As far as primers, I use magnum primers in everything. I shoot so many calibers it is just simpler to use magnums than to try to keep every kind of primer in stock.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You will be hard pressed to find one powder that is "ideal" for both cartridges. The .38 is easy to load for. Red Dot and W-231 are my current "go to" powders. The.357 is a different animal IF you want to extract any where near the potential performance of the original Magnum. As long as you are content with 1200 FPS and a 158 gr bullet, many different powders will suffice. If you want to push to the high side of 1400 you will need something like W-296/H110 (same powder) and a small pistol Magnum primer.

11. valechris33

valechris33 New Member

Titegroup tends to smoke a lot for me. Have you noticed that too?

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Thats my favorite one too bob. Its a great powder, i did learn early on that there is a minimum load for a reason, lol. As far as primers ive been using cci small pistol (500) and have had good success with both 38 target practice loads all the way up to screaming full power mag loads.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, there is something I may be missing or don't understand.

You are a reloader.
    Using 800X on a friend's recommendation.
    Asking if the powder can be used in another caliber.

Have you looked at reloading manuals before using?
    How did you confirm that the weight is correct and not creating pressure problems?
    How do you know what primer to use now?
    Do you have a chronograph?

I would consider getting some manuals and see if what is being used now is even recommended.

Reloading can be dangerous if the correct formulas are not utilized. A formula a friend finds that works with his firearm does not automatically mean that it is the correct formula for your firearm.

I do not mean to sound like I am flaming you, just trying to say "Be Careful".

14. trainman

trainman New Member

I have been using Unique for years for both calibers, and am very happy with it. I can't find it any more, and had to trade a pound of something else for a pound of Unique. Still scarce. But I am reading that things should be getting more available soon. All the hoarders have maxed out.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

No, not really. What are you using for bullets? Is it possibly your lube? Then again I also shoot black powder revolvers. Perhaps "a lot of smoke" to you is "not so much" to me.

16. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I certainly hope so, i want to finish setting up for more reloading, right now all i have to work with is the lee loader for 38/357, and 3/4 (rough guesstimate) of a pound of hs-6, along with 700+ 125 gr fp bullets (target practice) and 700 (+/-) cci sp primers.

17. valechris33

valechris33 New Member

Been using 125 gr lrn projectiles for my 9mm, just as target ammo at 3.7 +/- grains. Lots of smoke compared to Winchester 231 . Not using lubricant. Not necessary to use lube on straight wall casings.

18. valechris33

valechris33 New Member

That should be more than enough powder to get you through those 700 rounds. Besides, 700 rounds sure are a lot of rounds.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's the exact bullet and powder I'm using. I noticed some smoke but it was significantly less than when I was using Silhouette powder. So I just accept it. Just clean your gun after every range trip and it won't be an issue.

20. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Yep, i should be good for awhile.