.357 magnum snubbie

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Hectocotylus, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Has anybody ever shot the lcr in .357? I know most lcr's are .38 special but I like the idea of some more versatility. Are there other small carry .357s I should be looking at. I like the lightness of the lcr

2. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

I have one and it is very solid.

Shooting .38's and +p out it isn't bad at all. A full power magnum round stings a bit, but is still controllable.

3. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I had a thread similar to this not to long ago comparing the SW642 and the lcr. I ended up getting the lcr. Bad news is I am out of town until the end of Aug so I won't get to shoot it until then (which is killing me). After shooting multiple snubs at the range though, the lcr just seemed like the best one. By far the best trigger, but also seemed more comfortable and more accurate.

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Cool I was wondering about the recoil of those light revolvers. They only come in a 5 shot configuration correct?

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

S&w 340 Pd. S&w 60 and Taurus 605.

The 60 and 605 being stainless are easy to control and not too abusive. The 340pd will wear you out. Not a bullseye gun.

All very good choices for carry.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Have one, love it. It's a handful with .357's but it's managable. Great trigger too. Keep in mind, it's not the best range gun in the world, just a point 'n' shooter.

7. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Hmm I do love the look of a stainless revolver so sexy! How do you all feel about hammer vs hammer less on a gun like these mentioned?

8. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

I have two pocket carry revolvers, a Taurus 605 357 magnum, and a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special. The Bulldog is a DAO (aka 'hammerless"), the 605 has a regular hammer.
    The 357 puts a smile on the face of people who have never shot one before, and yes, it stings even with rubber grips.
    Drawing a hammer gun from a front pocket holding the thumb on the hammer spur reduces snagging on the pocket.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  9. vincent

vincent New Member

All depends on where and how you want to carry it. In a pocket or ankle a shrouded hammer won't typically catch on clothing. On the belt, either or...ish. That's where the personal preferences come into play...:cool: I would think with the shrouded hammer it would be less inclined to collect lint and dirt in the moving parts...again, all depends on where you want to carry it...:cool:

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Even for a carry gun i prefer a hammer. For purely cosmetic reasons i think the hammer looks better. I dont Particularly dislike striker guns, its just my personal preference to have a hammer for SA options.

11. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I like the idea of keeping everything clean with the shrouded hammer. I guess I just need one of each! I know the lcr is very light how does it compare with a stainless Taurus 605 or s&w 60? I know the stainless will be heavier but they are so beautiful!

12. vincent

vincent New Member

Now you're talkin'!! With guns and ammo, more is ALWAYS better!! :D

I don't have enough trigger time on a steel framed snub to give you any solid answers but physics dictates the weight will absorb some <---key word there...some recoil. .357 is a pretty hefty load, the increase of a few ounces will only do so much.

Can you test drive any at a nearby range? That'd give you the best answers...

13. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I would love to rent every gun out there but by the time you rent something and out a few rounds through it I could have bought a lot of ammo for myself...

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I w like to try Rugers DAO but even if they have duplicated a tuned SW - I w still vote for the hammer. You have the option to go SA/DA.

I don't pocket carry but it was good to hear about a drawing technique in case I do. The principle arguments for going hammerless were the snagging issue and if used for typical SD, no time for hammer anyway - It's not a range queen.

My counter - I still want the option plus I like to plink at longer ranges and SA helps a lot.

I don't buy the lint thing...but if it was a true competitive advantage, it w already be highlighted on marketing literature.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Forget the Tuperware guns and get you a real classic. I carry the one with the magna grips and Tyler grip adapter frequently. I've got an IWB, OWB, and shoulder holster that I use for it. .357s are no big deal to shoot out of either of these guns.

[​IMG]

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. No mention of the SP101. I have a bobbed hammer DAO SP101 with a tuned trigger. Not a light weight at 25 oz but a very nice revolver.

17. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

My wife owns and shoots the LCR .38 and I have the LCR .357 mag.
    I love practically everything about my LCR .357. I can shoot .38 spl and .38 +p and .357 mags if I want to. for conceal carry, I like to keep either the Buffalo Bore .38 spl 150 gr Hard Cast Wadcutters or the Carbon DPX .38 +P loaded in it. I love the trigger press and the light weight for carry. :)

18. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

What was the reasoning for you getting a .357 and a .38? Why not just get 2 .357's and be done?

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My daughter has one and loves it. It gets a regular diet of .357 Gold Dots. She believes in practice what you carry. So far there is no visible damage to the weapon or her hands.