357 Magnum Powder Residue

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cobra22, Oct 28, 2009.

1. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

To keep cost down I have been shooting 38 specials in my Ruger 357 Stainless Steel. Due to the smaller casing there is powder residue in the cyclinder that I just cant remove. I have tried Hoppes Solvent and brush but it just wont budge.

Any ideas fellas? Is their a more powerful solvent out here?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I picked up a used S&W some time ago that was really bad. I pulled the cylinder and let it soak overnight in Hoppes and it cleaned up well...

3. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

I havent tried letting it soak over night. I will give that a try ..thanks

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've had good success using a bit of polishing compound (something like Fritz) on really stubborn residue. A Dremel with a cloth buffing wheel will work, too.

If soaking in regular Hoppe's isn't enough, you can also with the stronger Hoppe's Bench Rest.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Wipe the front of cylinder with a cloth patch dipped in Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner and rub lightly with a "Lead Away cloth." The cylinder should clean up in no time. A small amount on the face of the cylinder of J & B Bore compound will work also.

If you still have residue, + 1 on what NGIB suggested.

Jack

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Soak, brush with a slightly larger brush (chambers are bigger than bore- about a 40 cal brush for a 357 chamber).

There is also a tool called the Lewis Lead Remover that scrubs really good- uses a brass screen over a leather plug.

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Flitz will EASILY remove it...

That's all I use on my stainless steel guns.

Attached Files:

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shooters Choice solvent. Soak.

Lead free cloth cut into patches will strip out anything left over.

9. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

Regarding the original question (residue buildup in cylinder holes from shooting shorter 38's in a 357 cylinder), I've found that C3Shooter's method works very well. I generally remove the cylinder, apply bore cleaner liberally, let soak, then stuff a larger brass bore brush (in my case, I use a .44 brush) in the cylinder hole so it pokes out the end little & spin the cylinder around the brush for a few revolutions.
    Then I swab the holes out with dry patches, examine the holes & repeat if necessary. I've gotten some pretty dirty used guns clean this way.;)

Regarding the powder residue on the cylinder face, I've had great luck with Mark F's method...FLITZ baby!:cool: My stainless guns get the Flitz treatment after each outing.

[​IMG]

Although, I have yet to find a good product for removing powder residue from the cylinder faces of blued guns...without removing the bluing.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Flitz is to only thing (so far) I have found that will clean my 329 S&W Scandium/Titanium revolver. The finish is totally different from "conventional" revolvers. GSR really tends to stick to the finish.

Attached Files:

11. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try them out.