.357 Mag and .38 special

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by unclebear, Jan 7, 2012.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I know you can fire 38 special out of a 357 mag revolver but if I get a lever action would I be able to do the same? :confused:

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Yes, you can.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A very simple question got a very simple and accurate answer. I might as well add another point, though.

In a .357mag revolver, many would desire to carry 38spl+p's because the reduced recoil allows quicker follow-up shots. Thus, 38's have a very real purpose, even for SD/HD purposes.

In .357mag lever action rifle, there really are no reasons to use 38spl+p's during a HD situation because the need for reduced recoil doesn't really exist. .38's are really only useful for cheaper plinking out of a rifle.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

ok I was wondering because I was thinking about getting me a lever action in 357 Mag I have a boat load of 38 special that I shoot out of my Model 66 but I only have self defense ammo in 357 that is really to expensive for me to plink with.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then sounds like your already set mon ami;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

7. redscho

redscho New Member

I love my Marlin 1894 lever action in .357 magnum. Nice companion for Ruger Security Six (my first center fire revolver).

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The supply of lever action 357's seems to really be small right now, darn it! Marlin/Remington has ceased production for a period of time and the Rossi just isn't the same quality. For that matter, the current quality of Marlins isn't like what it used to be, from what I've read.

The very next used Marlin .357 before Remington available locally will be MINE!!! I hope.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Marlin HAS not stopped production.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The guy that i deal with on tester rifles has said nothing about it the last times i talked to him. The very last time was wednesday

12. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I would suggest trying the rifle if possible before you buy it. I own 2 lever guns in .357 and know a lot of people that do. Some have trouble with the shorter .38 shells and do not cycle them through the mechanisms smoothly. A trip to a gunsmith can sometimes correct this problem, but sometimes not.

13. seedy

seedy Member

It's just as easy to reload a 357 to 38 spc power as reloading a 38 spc. One of the benefits of reloading. cd

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Doesn't the Henry rifle company make a lever action in .357? I have seen some guy advertising Henry rifles on some Sunday morning infomercial.
    cottontop

15. redscho

redscho New Member

Henry catalog shows .357 Lever action. Model H006M

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012