.357 Home Defense Round

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Kamarathin, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Hello all,

I'm looking for recomendations for a solid home defense round for my wifes GP100.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I just have hollow points in mine right now.

I have Hornady Critical Defense in my .380.

3. mcb

mcb New Member

I have Federal 125gr Hi Shock in my 686.

4. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

5. lucznik

lucznik New Member

My 686+ Mtn Gun is stoked right now with handloaded 180 gr. Nosler Partitions on top of a very stiff load of 2400.

Except for the (very) occasional box of plinker .38 spcls, I don't load this gun with anything else.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Federal 125 gr JHP. The standard for the FBI and most other LE for 35 years. Because they work!:D

7. genesis

genesis New Member

Hi Kamarathin:

I just use 148 gr wad cutters. 3.5 gr of Winchester 231 gets me around 850 FPS. Nice mild load but will certainly do the job. It's easy to do double taps with this load. Hardly any recoil from my GP100. It's not the caliber, it's the skill that gets the job done. We use this same load in my girlfriends Ruger LCR in 38 Special for her home defense load. She has no problem handling the recoil in that super light gun. While they have their purpose, I'm just not a fan of special purpose defense loads. I just don't have a need for them. Some do. We both live alone and in the sticks, so we don't have to worry about over penetration. We practice together a lot on my shooting range. I'm 66 and my girlfriend is 67. I've been shooting regularly for 45 + years. I use to shot a lot competitively; IPSC, bowling pin shoots, etc, and I won my fair share of events. I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 22 for home defense. Once you get past the notion that power is everything, you'll settle on a load that's much easier to handle and still gets the job done. I've quite literally shot over 300,00 wad cutter loads thru my 24 year old GP100. Only shoot the hotter stuff in matches to make the power factor, and to reliably knock the pins off the table in a bowling pin shoot. Other that those specific instances, it's wad cutters all day long !

If you're gonna stoke your wife's GP100 with some hot 357 loads, make sure she can handle them comfortably. Then let her try some wad cutter loads. She'll like them better and will probably enjoy practicing more. "THAT" will make her a better shooter. All this talk about home defense loads makes for a good academic discussion. But what really counts in a gun fight is skill. And that only comes through practice.

I hope you and your bride have many happy days at the range ! Now go lay a big lip lock on her !

Don <><

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  8. cj84

cj84 New Member

357 is a home defense round

9. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Thanks everyone. Great info all around.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

11. cj84

cj84 New Member

I buy the zombie ammo i think its the same thing just green tip instead of red plus it's a lil cheaper

12. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

I think there was a guy who did a video on the difference between the hornady critical defense, and the zombie ammo. I think the Critical defense ammo had obviously the red tip instead of green, but it also had the nickeled brass casings. From what I heard the nickle coating helps you see the casing it low light conditions if you are doing a brass check in those situations, and its supposed to help against corrosion. So I guess in those two aspects the critical defense is a slightly better buy than the zombie ammo. Other than that they are the same.

Edit: Found the video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRHi_GiryY[/ame]

13. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

If I had to use my .357 revolver I'd use Hornady XTP hollow points 158 gr. Would prefer to greet a bad guy with a 12 gauge double barrel coach gun.

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

buffalo bore ammo is good too