.357 ccw

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by poolshark13, May 15, 2008.

1. poolshark13

poolshark13 New Member

first off, im a little over a year away from my ccw, but i believe it is important to work with the guns you plan on carrying so that you are familiar with them. i have a sig p226 that i plan on carrying during fall/winter when i can wear a coat or sweat shirt to hide my shoulder holster. during the summer months though, i would really like to carry a .357 revolver. i currently have a .357 mag s&w with a 6" barrell that i love shooting. my question is, what size .357, and what maker of .357 would you recommend for ccw. i want to start looking around at different lengths, and different manufacturers to find one that could suit me on a day to day basis. thanks.

poolshark

2. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

In my opinion, I'd stick with a quality S&W or Ruger 2-3 inch barrel .357. Recoil in scandium model smiths can be pretty intense. The Ruger SP101 is built like a tank and the extra weight will help reduce felt recoil. I'd go to a gun store with a large selection and handle all of them. Find out which one fits you best.

3. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

I agree with Chorst294 100% but I also might add up to 4" barrel :D :D :D :D

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For concealed carry 3-4" barrel, stainless steel, lowprofile/snag resistant sights. SP101 is a good choice. My personal preference is the S&W M-65 3". I sandblasted mine for a satin gray look. Added a S&W DAO hammer and voila! Simple, robust, accurate, controllable and concealable. The only downside is it is a bit heavy. The scandium models are SWEET, but they are 3-4 times as many $'s. One can find 65's on the used market, cheap (abt $200)

5. Catfish

Catfish New Member

My choice is the PD 329. That is the scadium framed .44 mag. I do not recomand it to any one though as recoil is intense and unless you like recoil you`ll on shot this gun once in your life. 6 in. is pleant long, but if you like the gun and don`t mind carring it you have what you need. I have a friend that carries a .41 mag. with a 6 in. barrel. It`s what you like, not someone else.

6. poolshark13

poolshark13 New Member

thanks for all the input. looks like i might have to make some trips farther away than my local gun store to check out all the options, but hey, at least i got a year to do it right?

7. JBB

JBB New Member

I would go with the SP-101 Ruger. Mine is one of my favorite shooters. The recoil is not unpleasant and it could be concealed easily in a smart carry or a similar rig.

8. poolshark13

poolshark13 New Member

youre talking about those smart carry rigs that keeps the gun by your crotch correct? it seems like those could be hard to get at if you wear a belt, or do you just loosen your belt enough that you can get your hand in to your gun with no issue?

9. bertnog50

bertnog50 New Member

if you want a 357 ...look up the ruger sp101..not too heavy...also you should look the specs on the new ruger 327 magnum..ballistics for the speers gold dot are not much less than the 357 and the 327 mag. has 6 rounds instead of 5

10. supergus

supergus New Member

Why not consider a S&W 686 Plus 3"? You get 7 rounds with it!;)

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Have you looked at the new Ruger SP101 in the new .327 Mag? It has phenomenal ballistics and much less recoil. It also chambers .32 long cartridges. Smaller and lighter than the .357.

12. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Take your pick -

My 357 magnum S&W 686, (2 1/2" full lugged barrel)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife's 357 magnum Ruger SP-101, (3" full lugged barrel)

[​IMG]

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can't hit with a short barrel. I know plenty of guys who are absolutely deadly with one! ;)

PS: Among others, Chorst294 gave you very good advice.

Also, be aware that it's really hard to get decent speedloaders for any of the + 1 capacity revolvers. (I, only, use or recommend Safariland.)

Me, personally? I wouldn't wear a SmartCarry holster - Way, the Hell, too slow for serious work!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  13. DKA

DKA New Member

Like so many of the others, I carry S&W 65-2 357 with 4" barrel.

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

15. Fayettedave

Fayettedave New Member

RL is Right!

I am a .357 mag guy all the way...as well as a m1911 guy too. My TRP absolutely RULES. But what I actually carry everyday is my Ruger sp101 chambered in .357 mag.

Its really concealable, amazingly strong and durable (so heavy for a snubbie that the felt recoil is not really noticable) and packs a whallop.

So, do you really want a grown up carry piece? There you have it.

16. freefall

freefall New Member

I like my old Ruger Security Six 4". Not much bigger than the SP101, but much easier to shoot and I like to be able to adjust the sights to suit the ammo rather than search through brands and bullet weights for something that shoots to point-of-aim. (Remington 110 gr HPs seem to do it in the SP101, for me)

17. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I carried a 4" GP-100 .357 for some time, reliable, easy to use, fun to shoot too...

18. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

My summer gun is a Taurus 605. 5 shots of 357 with a 2" barrel. It;s meaty enough to control recoil, but small enough to stick in a IWB holster and be completely invisible. You could easily carry it wearing shorts and a tank top and no one would know.

It's also WAY cheaper than the Ruger or S&W alternatives. I do LOVE the Ruger SP101 though. That is a fine revolver.

19. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Besides barrel length, you need to consider frame size. Something like a S&W 686 is going to be more difficult to conceal than an SP101 or a S&W 640, even if you get a 2" barrel. IMHO, if you're going with a full size service revolver, get it with a 4" barrel.

However, if you're looking at smaller weapons a 2" to 3" barrel would be better. I think the 3" SP101 is fantastic, too bad I can't find them here. There are several 3" S&W's as well.

Unless weight is an absolute priority, I would go with a steel framed gun. They are much more enjoyable to shoot. I can spend all day at the gun range with my S&W 640 (which would be a good choice for pocket carry).

Try to find a gun with fixed sights and a concealed hammer (or a bobbed hammer, or an enclosed hammer like S&W Bodyguards).

20. SlamFire

SlamFire New Member

S&W Mod. 60, .357 mag. I bobbed the hammer so it doesn't stick me in the gut on IWB. So it's DOA. Works fine for me. I plan on being about five feet away when I pull the trigger. Five shots, I want to be sure they hit a vital area.