.357 caliber

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Dmitry, May 8, 2012.

1. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Can somebody tell me if any .357 revolver can as well handle .38 special and .38 + calibers?

2. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Yes. I have a .357 and shoot .38sp out it because they're cheaper.

3. niteglock

niteglock New Member

The .38sp is basically just shorter round. Don't know about very very old .357 revolvers but basic ones. Yes.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Thank you!!!

5. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Any .357 revolver is tested at higher pressures than the .38 Special, .38 special bullets are actually sized .357 for jacketed ammo. .38 special +p ammo is also at a lower pressure than .357 Mag.

This also holds true for .44Mag & .44 Special.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The .357 Magnum is a .38 Special with a longer case and more energy.
    The reason for the longer case is to prohibit loading .357 Magnum into a revolver that was chambered for the .38 Special.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Any .357 revolver- even the first one made in 1935, can shoot .38 Special or .38 Special +P. Energy of .38s is far less than energy of .357.

8. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Thank you!!!!

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Shoot em up as .38's are cheaper. Remember to pay attention to the cylinders as the shorter .38 will leave more residue in there.

A clean gun is just waiting to get dirty ;)

10. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Gentelmen, thank you so much for explanations! I am just a beginner, so every detail is important for me! I learned a lot of new things and aspects!!!
    I am planning to buy a .357mag revolver and I am considering either Taurus or Rossi ( I live in California and unfortunately we have here not every model allowed). Can anybody give me an advise what model is better? Primery: accuracy, light weight and reliability. Price is secondery for me.

11. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

If CA legal I'd check into a Smith and Wesson or a Ruger. I have a Ruger sp101 in .357 mag and I love it. It is very accurate and reliable. I have no experience with Taurus or Rossi so I can't offer an opinion on them.

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I second that, ruger and smith & Wesson are really good choices, if price is not an issue than go with smith & wesson. Otherwise a ruger. I would advise not waisting time/money on Taurus or rossi

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

A lot of people have nothing but bad things to say about Taurus. There was someone on hear not long ago that posted a pick of his brand new Taurus .22, and the gun looked like it was put in a vice and twisted. S&w are known for there revolvers. I would thank everyone would agree you can't go wrong with a s&w no mater what you git. I thank s&w is one of the ones that makes the .357 in a simi auto to.

14. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I thank u needs 2 go bak 2 scoo.

Couldn't resist. Sorry man.

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

It's ok I found a way to make good money without knowing how to spell and all that.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you think on longevity, S&W is the only way to go.

Taurus may have a lifetime warranty, but in 75 years, the S&W will still be preferred.

Many people bought the RG line of revolvers because of price years ago, and they have not appreciated.
    The S&W will.

17. phildenton

phildenton New Member

But if you're planning on shooting it a bunch and not looking at how much you can sell it for in a decade than theres nothing wrong with ruger, they are built to be abused and keep shooting, so that "longevity" crap doesnt wash. In a few ways s&w may be better, but in most others they are equall.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Nothing wrong with the ruger. But got to say the same for the s&w. Why you thank they keep there value.

19. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Thats my point, they are both great.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone has not seen Ruger prices lately. New or used.