350 Legend?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by 7.62 Man, Jun 7, 2020.

1. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I never put my life on anything until I totally check it out first. How many of us are going to war with our guns anyway? The upper I just bought was totally disassembled before it was shot. Yes there were some loose screws (or looser than I would have liked) but it didn't take more than a twist or two to get everything back right. You take any large Co. that puts out that much volume & their quality will be hit or miss.

Oldoutlaw and Shopfox like this.
  2. Django1965

Django1965 New Member

I have a question about the 350 Legend. I’m building one. My upper do not come with a BCG or charging handle. My question is, is the 305 legend BCG and charging handle the same as the 556/223 BCG/ charging handle

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, but the Magazine is not.

Shopfox and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Django1965

Django1965 New Member

Thank you !!

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  5. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

The Bear Creek Arsenal 350 Legend dropped an Ohio public land buck on Monday :D

primer1, Maineiak, Rifling82 and 4 others like this.
  6. Oldoutlaw

You better show me a pic or two now FOX!! :):)

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. Shopfox

I took an 8 second video, sorry no stills...

Maineiak, Rifling82 and Django1965 like this.
  8. Oldoutlaw

350 Legend! Yea Man! Picture of my son, grandson, friend, and his son.
    All 350 Legend AR's. First day today of the Iowa Gun Season. Five shots, 5 nice older does. They were all using 180gr SP Federal rounds.
    Only one deer ran about 20 yards they tell me. The rest went down almost in their tracks. Furthest one away was at 180 yards by son's range finder he always carries. DRT!! Great deer cartridge for certain.
    2nd year now that Iowa has allowed the 350 Legend. And boy is it a popular cartridge for deer in this state.

Resized_20201205_165933_2334.jpeg

primer1, Maineiak, Shopfox and 2 others like this.
  9. Shopfox

Two observations from deer season; light recoil meant I could keep my sight picture after shooting. As soon as I shot, I walked directly to the brushy area where I fired. The area where I shot the deer was filled with flowing, mid-shin water. My deer dropped in its tracks with zero blood. Without being able to keep the sight picture, I may never have found my deer.

2nd is scope covers. It'd been raining all day, and my scope was various degrees of smeared - it doesn't matter how great your glass is when the lenses get rain soaked and packed with snow.

Seriously: scope caps need an update beyond plastic and rubber.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  10. HydroR

HydroR New Member

I have a brand new Anderson stripped lower and a 16" BCA upper in 350 legend (side charge model) sitting right here. Just waiting for PSA to ship my lower kit (7 days and it hasn't even shipped yet).

I wanted to do a pistol build, but the few places that had 10.5" or 12.5" uppers were pricey (out of my budget).

Either way, I also ordered some 20-round C-Mags from another site, but when the rest of my order shipped, they eliminated the C-Mags, said they didn't have any, even though the site showed them in stock. Had to order a couple of CMMG instead. I also ordered one 30-round Gen3 P-Mag, gonna try the trick of filing off the two ribs, seems to work according to a lot of reviews.

Since my state doesn't restrict hunting to straight wall cartridges and the fact that the round is relatively new, we have lots of ammo sitting on the shelves. I think this round will be a great home/property defense round.

Anyway, I'd heard about some controversy surrounding the cartridge and bullet diameters, so I did some research. Here's things as I understand it:

According to Winchester and SAAMI, the bore/groove diameter is spec'd at .346 and .357, the exact same as the .357 magnum. SAAMI says .357 -0.003, which means it SHOULD work with .354 to .357 bullets, however, in development, PRC was given a reamer that apparently wasn't to the correct spec. Bullets larger than .355 (9mm) wouldn't chamber in some of their barrels and the ones that did experienced dangerous pressure spikes. If you buy an X-Caliber barrel in this round, they explicitly state .355 bullets only. It seems the throat/neck area of the chamber is too tight. Some AR shooters say .357 or even .358 bullets are shooting fine, but I have to wonder if tight throat/necks are causing the early pressure signs mid way through the load data that some are experiencing.

All the factory ammo in this cartridge is loaded with .355 bullets as far as I know. If you look around, there are 350 Legend specific bullets available...all .355. The same bullets Winchester loads (150 grain Xtreme Point and 180 grain Power Points) are available in component form. Hornady has a bullet or two was well as LeHigh Defense. Browning is even loading factory ammo for it as well (I have a few boxes of their 124 grain FMJ's). The Browning FMJ ammo is cheap, $13 a box. I get the 150 grain Xtreme Points from Wallyworld for $20 a box. In my opinion, even for reloading, there's sufficient bullet choices in .355 that there is no need to go into the .357 or .358 realm. If you do, you can, if you want, resize the larger bullets down.

11. Shopfox

This is what I use: https://grabagun.com/ruger-magazine-350leg-black-10rd.html

I think the magazine is too important for reliability to bastardize it.

I have some .356 125gr Hornady Action Pistol bullets I'd like to try eventually. Good thing about the 147gr XTP is the bullets can feed a 9mm too - self defense ammo is $$$, and its a load I can justify spending the time/money to reload.

12. Oldoutlaw

I use CMMG mags in my 350 Legend AR that is a Bear Creek upper. I have two BCA uppers. One with no side charging and one with side charging.
    I only shoot the 5 and 10 round mags. NEVER any problem with my CMMG mags when at the range or when deer hunting.

Ammo? I am only using factory ammo that I have accumulated so far. Would like to find more Win 145 FMJ for range use. My online suppliers seem to be out at the moment.

13. HydroR

HydroR New Member

I hope you don't mean that you are using your reloads as defense rounds?

14. Shopfox

9mm 124gr XTP's (or 147gr XTP's) reloads - zero concerns for self defense.

AgedWarrior and Oldoutlaw like this.
  15. Oldoutlaw

Why the heck not??

AgedWarrior likes this.