Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at purchasing a rifle for hunting deer in Iowa and regulations require a straight wall cartridge. I’m looking at the Ruger Ranch and the Franchi Momentum and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with either? I’m also pretty firm on my decision of scopes with the Leupold VX Freedom. TIA.

·
Premium Member
8,014 Posts
I am waiting for a good lever gun to come out in 350 L. As for a scope, what is the max range you will be encountering and what environment will you be hunting?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am waiting for a good lever gun to come out in 350 L. As for a scope, what is the max range you will be encountering and what environment will you be hunting?
I am hoping for a lever also but it’s not looking hopeful. I have my one firearm tag I am allowed for the season, muzzle loader, so I’m in no rush to buy yet. I’m hoping Marlin/Ruger will get one going but as far as I can tell it’s just the 45-70 in production. Henry makes a beautiful gun but they all seem soo heavy to me? I’m not holding my breath that Iowa will make my 30-30 legal anytime soon otherwise problem solved and I wouldn’t need a 350.

As far as the scope, typically woods,field edges. 3x9 is the norm. I’d like a bit wider if I could for the woods.

·
Premium Member
6,782 Posts
I’m looking at purchasing a rifle for hunting deer in Iowa and regulations require a straight wall cartridge. I’m looking at the Ruger Ranch and the Franchi Momentum and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with either? I’m also pretty firm on my decision of scopes with the Leupold VX Freedom. TIA.
I do not. However myself, family, and friends all use 350 Legend in an AR. We all hunt in mostly S.E. Iowa.
Don't limit yourself to just those two brands. Savage makes a good one also. See quite a few of them in last couple of years. A great caliber for our State.

Just be aware the later we get towards Fall, the sooner these disappear off the shelves here.

·
Premium Member
8,014 Posts
I am hoping for a lever also but it’s not looking hopeful. I have my one firearm tag I am allowed for the season, muzzle loader, so I’m in no rush to buy yet. I’m hoping Marlin/Ruger will get one going but as far as I can tell it’s just the 45-70 in production. Henry makes a beautiful gun but they all seem soo heavy to me? I’m not holding my breath that Iowa will make my 30-30 legal anytime soon otherwise problem solved and I wouldn’t need a 350.

As far as the scope, typically woods,field edges. 3x9 is the norm. I’d like a bit wider if I could for the woods.
If I am not encountering shots more than 200 yds and 'in the thick of it' stalk hunting with the ballistics of the 350L I prefer the scope that Leopold calls their Hog scope, 1.5 x 4 with the 'hog plex' redial. I thing with the ballistics of the 350L that would be a good choice. Up close on 1.5 you can shoot with both eyes open and have fast target acquisition. My 'in the woods' gun is a 336Y with that scope. Just my 2 cents worth. Good hunting! :)

Reactions: G_Whitcomb

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I’ve considered one but I’m more of a classic bolt action or lever guy when it comes to hunting.
I would have bought the normal hunting type rifle too but when I got the complete upper for under 200 it wasn't much of a choise then.

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
G

IMO of the two rifles you mentioned, I would go with the Ruger. Ruger has come a long way regarding the rifles!
And I also noticed the Trigger on the Rifle. Hard to beat! Also, it has the Picatinny Rail.
One of the best precision rifles I have ever shot, and I have shot many is their new Ruger Precision Rifle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G

IMO of the two rifles you mentioned, I would go with the Ruger. Ruger has come a long way regarding the rifles!
And I also noticed the Trigger on the Rifle. Hard to beat! Also, it has the Picatinny Rail.
One of the best precision rifles I have ever shot, and I have shot many is their new Ruger Precision Rifle.

I’ll give it a closer look. I somewhat like the longer barrel on the Franchi but it probably isn’t necessary?

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
G
After looking closer at the two rifles and the specifications of each. I think I would agree, I would go with the Franchi Momentum. 2-4 lb. adjustable trigger and 1 MOA accuracy!
I do now that Franchi makes fine weapons. I had a Franchi 20 ga. Semi Auto Shotgun back in the day when I Pheasant and Quail hunted. It was a great little shotgun. Light and fast on the point! That little shotgun shot hundreds of birds over my English Setter bird dogs. I miss those days! :)
So, if I was buying one of the two I would at this time consider the Franchi over the Ruger.

Reactions: G_Whitcomb
1 - 11 of 11 Posts