.350 Legend: I'm pumped

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in a straight-wall cartridge state (OH), and I enjoy my AR's. I've been looking at .450 Bushmaster uppers, but couldn't get excited: $2 a round ammo, finicky and expensive magazines, enlarging ejection ports, special bolts, etc. The death knell is our limited 9-day gun season, and the limited usefulness.

I'm genuinely excited about the .350 Legend. For me, most hunting areas have houses within 1/4 a mile. I like a bullet that's dropping fast after 200-250 yards. I like that the round can be used for coyotes, hogs, and deer. In short, it can be used year round, for crop damage permits, or regular hunting. I like that the prices are 1/2 the 450 Bushmaster, and the recoil tame. I like the prospect of a straight-forward barrel swap.

I just hope to see some lightweight uppers to keep the weight down.

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

IA is the same (straight wall state) and I haven't heard of this .350 Legend caliber... I need to investigate

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Shopfox

Someone needs to take my money now, and send me a Barrel, brass, dies, and data.

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I had no idea there were straight wall states.

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

This was the first year of that (being able to hunt deer with straight wall rounds) for us... Was previously shotgun slug and bow only

Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

looks very interesting. maybe one of you will end being the guinea pig, errr...I mean tester of this new cartridge! :D

Shopfox likes this.
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess if you are saddled with the 'straight wall' stuff it makes sense, but I think my 35 Rem 200 gr Flex tip beats it badly when it come to deer/hog hunting.;)

Shopfox likes this.
  8. Shopfox

I agree with you, it only makes sense because of the laws. If we could use a 30-30, these type of things would not even be on the table. With this said, it is so built up in Ohio, especially the northern half, it keeps idiots from using their 300 Win mags on their 5 Acres of woods. I don't even care about the ballistic limitations of the straight wall, I'm just excited to have non shotgun alternatives.

primer1 and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shopfox
    Please go to the Thread here on the FTF entitled "458" by: dwmiller
    If you want a larger caliber like the 450 Bushmaster
    I would suggest looking into the 458 SOCOM.
    My Rock River Arms shooting a 1 MOA (1 Inch)Group at 100 Yards from the Bench! 16" Barrel.
    1. Good manufactured ammunition for it
    2. Easy to load if you want to reload them
    3. Takes a Standard AR-15 Magazine
    4. Any Caliber of that size will need a slightly enlarged Ejection Port Opening in the Receiver
    5. Good Ballistics 1900 fps at the Muzzle 340 gr. Bullet. And certainly has all the power you need. I shot a 2100 lb. Bison (Buffalo) with mine. As Carlos Hathcock said One Shot One Kill!
    6. And certainly will do a number on wild Pigs as well!:)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

The SoCom is a bottleneck cartridge, correct?

11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

correct. the 450 Bushmaster is straight-walled cartridge.

12. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Not to hi jack...........but I don't give a flip about "one shot kills".
    I just want my critters dead ASAP and if it takes more than one to make the ghost leave faster, so be it.
    But then, I grew up hunting with a Ruger #1.
    Contrary to the advertisements .............it's just a pretty rifle and that's all it says about the person carrying it...........he/she likes a pretty rifle.
    :)

If I don't spot the hit on my deer and they offer another shot, I take it. Here we hunt smaller ground. My old spot was 160 acres. Current spot is 17. I really like my deer dead on my side of the fence. Have had a couple go over and everybody was cool. But ya never know.

Have a big one slip by them, then you pop it and it goes over........people tend to get weird about big racks.

Just sayin.

A thumper round, through a shoulder, should help keep things mellow.
    With that a boomer, like .458 or .450..........maybe even this new .350.......might be pretty sweet.

13. Sniper03

Here are the pictures which contain the Bushmaster and the SOCOM.
    SOCOM 458.jpg

14. Hookeye

My buddy shot two deer with his .458 Socom.
    One was about 90 yards or so, and he blasted it through the lungs. It was on other side of woods so he got down and went over...............said he felt bad, never saw so much blood. Huge swath to his deer maybe 30-40 yards down.

Next yr he's ground hunting another spot and has a pretty 10 pt chase a doe, other side of ditch. Less than 20 yard shot, blasts lungs and a shoulder. Deer runs 50 yards or so and then dies in bottom of creek (steep banks, raining).

He said that pretty much sucked. About killed him and a bud trying to get that thing out.
    Deer was trashed, lungs and shoulder.......yet it ran a ways.

Just never know.

JimRau likes this.
  15. Hookeye

I've been looking at a RAR in .450.
    But you know darn well if I buy it, a #1 in .460 will show up.
    The RAR is cheap, but then add the Magpul stock for another 250 or so.
    Gets to almost half the price of the #1 ;)

16. Sniper03

Just some facts about the Bushmaster and the SOCOM.

The .450 Bushmaster was created around a 250 grain bullet and Hornady produced the ammunition using their exceptional SST pointed bullet. Today’s load uses their FTX bullet. This load produces a muzzle velocity of 2200 feet per second with an energy rating of 2686 foot pounds. This makes the .450 Bushmaster capable on virtually all big game in North America at ranges out to 225 yards including moose and elk. It certainly can take out a wild pig.

The .458 SOCOM (Special Operations Command) can push bullets from 140 to 600 grains. Ballistics of the SOCOM have been compared to the 45-70 except in a semi-auto AR-15 rifle. Ammo is available from a variety of sources including Corbon, Polycase, SBR, Underwood, Ventura and TGD Ammunition of Colona IL. Brass is available from Starline. Bullets in .458 diameter are common.
    The .458 SOCOM moves out at 2528 fps in the 140 grain bullets, but slows down to 1798-1860 with 300 grain bullets. Powerful enough for big game, but at ranges limited to about 150 - 200 yards.
    But anyone who is going to reload the 458 SOCOM please contact me for information for a little tip to make it easier.

17. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Straight wall state? Interesting. I understand the use of shotgun slug loads, and their alleged, limited range, but couldn't some owners like me ( :) ) get carried away with a straight wall case, like those for my Ruger Number 1 rifles ? :

[​IMG]

Shopfox likes this.
  18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

There usually is a minimum and maximum on the case length in such states.

19. Hookeye

FWIW Indiana, which has no straight wall case requirement.....the PCR reg is:
    1.16 min
    1.8 max
    .35 cal and larger
    No limit on # of cartridges afield (PCR stuff is legal on public land).

We can run "regular" HP rifles for private land deer hunting, but even then there is a spec
    1.16 min
    3.0 max
    .24 cal and larger
    Possession is max of 10 cartridges afield.