345 yard kill with AR-15 no scope

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Nathantc, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

using only my irons and reddot at 345 yards with tula 55g FMJ i got this this morning

using only my irons and reddot at 345 yards with tula 55g FMJ i got this this morning
    shot while standing with no added support

pic of exit wound is included as well to show that yes, fmj will do massive damage even at that range
    i did not have to track this buck, he made a short hop and just fell

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I will continue to believe using FMJ to take big game is unethical and will result in far more wounded animals than soft point hunting ammunition.

I am glad it turned well in this instance.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

3. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

usually i would agree,, and usually i wouldnt have taken a shot at that distance with .223 but i did this time

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That thing is tiny!!!!! About the size they are after loosing their spots.

5. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

its average size here in south east tx

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Much more damage than I would have expected from that range/round.

As far as size I have a buddy that lives in Florida. He says they are lucky to get much bigger than a large dog down that way (slight exaggeration I'm sure).

Good shot.

7. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

got family up in the Dakotas and seems there larger in the north,,, and honestly i was quite surprised my self, i sure would not want to be on the receiving end of it

8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Is FMJ legal for big game in Texas???? In most states it is not.

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I think you got lucky because of the distance. You were too far away for him to see you or smell you or have any sense of danger, so there was no adrenalin pumping in him when he was hit, if you were close and he was beginning to run away from you, your gun wouldn't have enough power to drop him.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I always thought Texas whitetails were different in comparison to the deer where I am at here in MI. Texas deer always seem to have great racks and smaller bodies, and our deer often have small racks but huge bodies.

11. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Better jeans and we don't have as many all you can eat places in Texas, perhaps....
    Oh! Deer, you are talking about deer.....sorry!

12. glocknloaded

glocknloaded New Member

They are very.... Tiny down there.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

That is representative of the average southern whitetail deer. Do some get bigger, yep. I saw lots deer in that size range tagged in my 5 seasons in Wisconsin, too.

Sandy soils, not a lot of crops, mostly timber, that deer is pretty close to average.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I want to see even a 3 shot group at 345 yards just to see how much was foolish luck . Also fmj. shame. So unethical in several ways. Even the red dot if covered only 3" at 100 yards would have completly covered that deers chest .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  15. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I don't mind small racks and big bodies, the later keeps you warmer and the first fills your hands better.

16. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

though your close to right on this ill explain
    1 moa dot

covers about 3-4" my guess at that distance
    knowing my hold overs on my own personal property makes the dot above intended target not covering it
    rifle shoots less than 1" at 100 yards making it about 3" group at that range so yes i can repeat the shot and do so on coyotes out here on a regular basis

now as for fmj,,, shot placement buddy,, no type of bullet will substitute for that

also in the pic you can clearly see that even FMJ will do massive damage on a body shot

i shoot a hell of a lot more than the average shooter due to being able to do so any time i feel like it right here at home

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I will confirm that the whitetails are kind of small here.

A guy from work was bragging about a buck that dressed out 50#.

18. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

not bad really,, this one after we ground it all to make sausage and jerky came right at 30lbs

after processing there really isnt a lot of meat on a deer

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

No matter what excuses you manage to come up with that was a unethical shot. FMJ ammo illegal ifor hunting n texas?? Yes or no? Until you can video a nice simple 3 shot group at 345 yards standing unsupported as you said you did and show a respectable kill group your the utmost in a irresponsible hunter both in bullet used and distance for the shot unsupported.

20. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i need to prove nothing to you,, thats a convo with no end,, you personally sound like a range warrior to be honest

i will agree that for the distance the cal and bullet type were substandard but as for my shot,, any shooter worth his salt can make a shot like that with a rifle

345 yards is not that far, i only live on 20 acres and that was just across that