338 win mag to a 338 ultra mag?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rant, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Rant

Rant New Member

Hi I have a rem 338 win mag , and I have a 338 rum ultra mag barrel kicking around . Would it be a smart chose to rebarrel it to the 338 ultra mag or just leave it as is , your thoughts please , if so who would you get to do the work in Canada?....

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would shoot the winmag barrel till the throat barrel and muzzle are worn out then rebarrel it with the ultra mag.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Unless there is a shortage of 338 WM ammo, I see no real benefit to the swap. Both should work fine in the magnum length action. I agree to shoot the WM til the barrel is shot out and then consider the swap.

4. Rant

Rant New Member

So as you say there is no go for the 338 ultra... !... its a dead fish floating on the stream of the gun world... what of the 340 ... Weatherby?

5. Rant

Rant New Member

As A boy the cats...... Meow... was the 340... over the 338... very interesting!

6. Rant

Rant New Member

So is ther 340 weatherby dead Too?

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Unless you reload and really REALLY want the small jump in velocity I'd leave the 338WM barrel on it until it starts to degrade in accuracy. If the 338 WM barrel demonstrates poor accuracy it's a different story. How does it shoot?