.338 Lapua

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by brinky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. brinky

brinky New Member

Looking for a modern bolt action high powered rifle that shoots a .338 Lapua.

2. baldrugerlover

baldrugerlover New Member

3. brinky

brinky New Member

or something that'll shoot a 7.62x51 but $5000 top dollar.

4. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Savage 110BA $23-2400 and then $1600 on a night force scope.

5. brinky

brinky New Member

Do you know if you need any clearances for a M24 or a M4A03 Sniper Rifle?!

6. ajhaag19

ajhaag19 New Member

You can custom build your own m40 or m24. Just pick up a Remington 700 308 with a solid barrel. Start from there
    I'm currently building one now. Just waiting for the money for an optic

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Your signature "MARINE RECON MARKSMAN BROTHERHOOD" suggests the implication that you were or are an 0317, 0321, 0323, 0324, or an 0326, and if that's the case, you should already know the answers to the questions your asking. Just curious, where did you do SSBC?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You first ask about a 338 Lapua,and then ask about needing some sort of clearance to buy a 308! :confused:

Do you even know what you want?

For enough money,you can build or have built,just about any weapon you want,with the exception of certain Class 3 weapons.

9. brinky

brinky New Member

i was just wondering if there is any clearances i have to go through to built a high-powered rifle such as an M24..

10. brinky

brinky New Member

And 7point62 im finishing up school right now but i will go into as a officer than be able to go straight into to the field of my choice.

11. brinky

brinky New Member

Im just a young gun admirer, i didnt mean to insult anyone or the service.

12. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That's okay, son, I kinda figured that was the story--it's just that military people are a bit touchy about people claiming to be members of the brotherhood. It's fine and admirable that you plan on becoming an officer and good luck to you. ;)

13. brinky

brinky New Member

Thank you, its going to be a interesting road to take.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A vast difference in the cost of the cartridges you are interested in.

The M24 and M40 at the time of their development were closer to sporting rifles. So, no clearance is required to build a rifle to similar specs. Some of the first rifles pressed into service with the Marine Corps as sniper rifles in Vietnam were basically Winchester model 70 and Remington 700 match rifles that had been in use as " recreational " firearms used in matches. They weren't "hardened for combat use". So the optics, barrels, etc were upgraded later. Them the M40 was developed out of experience gained in the field.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  15. brinky

brinky New Member

So buy a Remington 700 for a base then swap out barrels and optics to change caliber or into a M24 or M40?!

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you got a heavy barreled Remington 700 in .308 and bedded the action into a nice McMillan stock and added a nice scooper from Night Force or US Optics you would have a platform that is a good start toward being as capable of the m24 or m40. Once you get enough practice and use to outshoot the stock barrel's capability you could upgrade to a Douglas or Shilen barrel. Those platforms are not any more magical than any other strongly built match grade Remington 700. The magic lies in the training, skill, and experience if the guy behind the rifle.