338 Lapua

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by qh1977, Dec 21, 2012.

1. qh1977

qh1977 New Member

Looking to buy a nice 338 for long range target shooting and target shooting. Would like to find one in the tactical style rifle that I can still mod with all sorts of bells and whistles.. Also capacity to be more then single shot preferably 5-10 or more rounds.. Would also like to find quality rifle at fair price. Don't want to sell the truck to have the gun. Anyone know where I should start or what brand/brands are best?

2. The45kid

The45kid New Member

3. qh1977

qh1977 New Member

Have u heard if Bushmaster released the 338 semi auto it was working on..

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

For something as expensive to shoot as .338 Lapua I think that single shot would be the way to go. But your money.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Savage has a few, Remington has a couple, and Weatherby has a few. Savage has the least expensive of those i suggested. go to www.galleryofguns.com and use 338 Lapua in the search and look whats available.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

savage 110 is the least expensive box fed 338 with great accuracy and more easily modded than anything out there.

there are some 338 semis but the cost of those your better off getting a barret semi auto 50bmg.

nothing to do with 338 lapua is cheap. its one of those things that if you have to ask the price for a budget gun your best skipping it. reloading is required with this to get the rounds down to the 2.50 a shot range.

7. Axxe55

true! kind of like, if you have to ask the cost of the insurance on a Ferrari, then you probably can't afford the car!:eek:

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And WHERE are you going to shoot it? I know several people who have bought .338's and .50's because of the novelty and found that there are no ranges w/in a 2 hour drive that will allow shooting beyond 600 yards. You put a 20 minute base obn the rifle and it becomes essentially useless at under 500 yards. I see NO reason for 99% of us to own one, but some will say the same thing about high capacity SUR's. So, if it is truly something your can use and it makes you happy, my vote is the Savage.

9. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'd go .308. Better value. Much more diverse in Philosophy of use. Probably cheapest ammo for long range shooting. A whole lot of choices for rifles.

Just my 2 cents

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A scope that will let you realize the full potential of that caliber will cost $1500-$2500. Factory ammo is out of the question unless you own oil wells. Reloading components will cost enough to make you cry.

If you're going to spend that much money on rifle, optics and ammo, just bite the bullet and get a Barrett or an Accuracy International.

If you want a 1500 meter rifle, you'll have to pay for a 1500 meter rifle.

11. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3748648&gonew=1#UNREAD

It only cost a little more to go first class.

12. qh1977

qh1977 New Member

Thanx everyone for all your advice.. I guess I have some hard thinking and research to do. On which way I want to go.. And for u guys that gave me links to go check out. You rock.. I'll let u guys know which gun I decide on. Thanx again

13. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

I've had my AI AWSM .338 LM for 4 years now.

EXCELLENT RIFLE! Haven't been out shot with it yet!

14. jspruell

jspruell New Member

I have had the savage 110BA in .338 Lapua for over a year and love it. It is a tack driver at 500 yds with hand loads. Like one of the other guys said, I had to put a $1700 Nightforce on it to be able to shoot long range. I'm pleased with the overall performance of the unit. I would def advise the savage if the caliber is a must.

15. awaysaway

awaysaway New Member

Picked up my 110BA in may. Love it! Reloading is a must IMO.

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I've got a BA110 and love it.
    Reloading makes it a bit more fun.

image-92522099.jpg

17. qh1977

qh1977 New Member

I like that. I'm thinking about getting into reloading too.. Where is a good place to start with that? I've seen kits out there and I've seen each individual piece to buy. Are the kits worth it or is it better to piece or together

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The RCBS kit is a good place to start. But I suggest buying "The ABCs of Reloading," and the "Lyman Reloading Manual" and reading them first.

19. qh1977

qh1977 New Member

Just picked up the ABCs of loading. Today. Gonna start studying up

20. Axxe55

excellent book. should be required reading for anyone thinking about getting into reloading. i have two different editions, and highly recommend it for those who are wantingto understand the reloading process. there is a lot of valueable information in those books.

read it several times and if you have any questions about anything you aren't clear on, please post your questions.