338 lapua in a savage

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by aztman, Nov 5, 2011.

1. aztman

aztman New Member

what's everyone think of these?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

At over $1200 retail I don't see one in my future.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Unless you shoot long range competitions or hunt at long range 500-1200 yards,I see no need in owning one.
    It is a great long range caliber,but really serves no purpose as a general purpose hunting rifle.
    Even reloading this caliber is expensive,so unless you just have a pocket full of money for ammo,I'd get something a little more practical to shoot.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

they shoot good and are really loud. i recently got to see one at the range. and see how it fired. fairly impressive

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

it was on my list to consider as a range rifle. but after pricing out the cost of ammo components i decided to opt for a semi auto barret in 416barret in the near future. little more effective same reload costs.

i would go 50bmg but i got no place to shoot one :(

6. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

No offense, but only "fairly impressive"?

The .338 Lapua is an EXTREMELY effective and versatile long gun.

With that said, the .338 isn't your Grandpa's "trusty old' 30-06", and it isn't your run of the mill, out of the box .270 or 7mm Mag!

And if a person shops around a bit, he or she can reload it fairly frugally. I know for a fact that it can be reloaded as cheap as $1.95/round.

The .338 Lapua is also versatile enough that, if reloaded properly, can be either a long range competition gun or a multiple use hunting rifle. I use my .338 to hunt coyotes along with elk, deer, bear, and even wild hogs.

The point is, it is extremely versatile and reliable. With practice, only ONE SHOT is needed for anything, and this gun is more than capable of that. Who cares how much it costs to shoot if you only need one shot???

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

fairly impressive... mainly becuase i did not get to pull the trigger. and i didnt really feel the concussion. sound was like a tank going off but ithink my mosins actually produced more felt concussion. and dont think im using concussion in place of recoil. i mean i can stand next to my mosin and feel the vibration . with the .338 i didnt thats all. i just expected more. if i had the cash to waste i would def have one

8. CarlsbadRanger06

Just curious..... But what is the concussion of your rifle good for? It doesn't actually serve a purpose......

If you want to hear and feel some REALLY monstrous concussion, sit under a sheet metal carport and shoot that Nagant!

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Who would even try to compare a mosin to a 338 an yes the 338 can be a kitty kat with some minor work slaps big ol new mex mulies with some serious authority by the way

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

haha. the concussion is good for making me laugh and giggle. its so fun. thats all

11. CarlsbadRanger06

That's sorta what I was thinking...... The Mosin Nagant is a good rifle. But it's quite far from being. .338 Lapua! IMO if a person is more concerned with the "concussion" his rifle makes rather than the accuracy of his rifle, he's shooting for all of the wrong reasons. Like I said in a past post, the "concussion" or "vibrations" a rifle makes..... EVEN THE MUZZLE BLAST......... Has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything besides childish amusement.........

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so im to be concerned with the accuracy my 70 yr old rifle can attain? i dont think many of us buy a mosin with the intent on having a submoa rifle.. now perhaps the .338 would be good. but for me i believe thats what my win model 70. 308 and ar 15 are intended for.

13. CarlsbadRanger06

A Mosin Nagant, unless it is just a rusted piece of junk, should still be a lethally accurate rifle..... As in, with the right shooter, more accurate than your .308 OR your AR-15.....

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Fully agree with that carlsbad I have a mosin picked it up at a swap meet in hobbs it shoots killer but I hate that damn gun sorry mosin fans but its an ugly turd well mine is anyway an no I wont spend a dime to make it semi ok lookin

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Carlsbad where u at these days still in new mex or ????

16. CarlsbadRanger06

No sir I'm currently stationed at Ft. Benning. Im in Carlsbad for a family emergency, though. In a couple days, it's back to Ga until Thanksgiving.....

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I was last stationed at ft carson so brother my hand in salute to u hope the fam is ok pal my prayers are with u

18. CarlsbadRanger06

When we're you at Carson? I was there in '09 for 4 months working with an SF ODA instructing SOTIC refreshers......

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I got out in 06 pal

20. CarlsbadRanger06

Oh well heck. I spent all of '06 in the wonderful city of Ramadi, Iraq. 4th of July all day, everyday, for 16 months! Lol