.32 Winchester Improved or .32 Winchester k

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by tinbucket, Jun 28, 2020.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I know they use to rechamber .30-30 chambers with sharper shoulder and scooted forward, for bit more powder.
    I no longer have a .30-30 but I have a 49 production year ..32 Win Special.
    Has anyone rechambered their ..32 Special or the .30-30?
    Results, improvement?and how stout is the Win 94 action for this proposition?

towboater likes this.
  2. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

No Gunsmiths amateur or otherwise here?

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Most likely no answer for you.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 32 Winchester was used to fix shot out 30-30 rifles. It was also had a slower twist for reloaders using cast bullets and in some cases using black powder. Messing with an older rifle might not be a good idea. An Ackley type rechamber might be the most you can get out of it. You might be able to push the shoulder forward and shorten the neck but you are looking at custom reloading dies and I doubt you will get more than 100-200 fps. Those 32's are good shooters as they are. Maybe leverlution ammo would help.

5. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you look closely at the Ackley Improved cartridges, most of their increase velocities, is due to substantial increases in pressure. Almost always the pressure went up, directly in line with the velocity increases.

Ackley was a gunsmith, at least as much as he was a wildcatter. He was building custom, blueprinted rifles, on generally Mauser 98 actions, which are pretty solid.

I have a 257 Roberts AI, which Ackley said was the best chambering for 25-cal bullets, with the 25-06 quite a bit over chambered for the bore, and available bullets.

The 257AI had a pressure rating of 60,000-cup. The standard 257 Roberts had a max pressure of 42,000-cup. Ackley’s blue printed guns could readily handle the increased pressure, but a lot of pre-WWII weapons couldn’t. Ackley started blowing out the case taper, increasing the shoulder angle, and moving the shoulder forward, so that you couldn’t possibly load his “Improved” high pressure ammunition in a standard chambered rifle.

I love my 257AI, it is extremely accurate, with low recoil. But, since the advent of the 257 Roberts +P loadings, I doubt I would ever build another. The AI, and the +P versions are both loaded to the same pressure, and have the same velocities and energies.

So, if you think your rifle, and he available brass are solid enough to handle increased pressures, I’d recommend just increasing the pressure.

JTJ likes this.
  6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I freely admit that though I was in the gun business for many years, I have never heard of either .32 Winchester Improved or .32 Winchester k. I'm sure there likely was such things but they must have been very very low numbers.

7. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

We use to have a damn good one here