.32 S&W Long cartridges

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Robert NC, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Is it feasible and cost effective to purchase a hand reloader to load .32 long cartridges for target shooting? Have a .32 that was my cousins. Everywhere I have checked wants $35/40 for a box of cartridges.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you shop carefully for a USED press and USED dies, yes, it would be VERY cost effective. It is almost impossible to wear out the equipment unless you are loading commercially (40 hrs a week)

If you have not already been into reloading, your first buy should be a copy of "The ABCs of Reloading"- check Amazon for used copy.

You will need a press, shell holders, dies, and a priming setup, and a scale.

For REAL cheap, find a Lee handloader. Small box with everything in it except a plastic mallet used to drive cases into the dies. They typically sell for about half the cost of box of .32 Long. Much slower, but will load cartridges.

3. shoez

shoez New Member

I also shoot a .32 S&W Long. I have a H&R 732. I reload for it and cast my own bullets. I can shoot it for less than $2 per 50 rounds. Even if you bought commercial bullets, you cost would probably not be over $6 or $7 per 50. The .32 used very small charges of powder, one pound would last for around 2500 rounds, depending on exact powder type and charge weight. If you bought an inexpensive press and a set of carbide dies, you could pay for the whole set up in about 200 rounds of factory ammo.

4. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Thanks for the answers. Now to buy a book and start reading.