Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by texashunter, Jul 22, 2011.

1. texashunter

texashunter New Member

Has anyone ever compared a DPMS .308 AR with a bolt action Savage Arms 10 BAS-K rifle

2. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Compared them for what exactly, with a lot of things it would be like apples to oranges

3. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

Sure ... one is a high quality precision rifle, the other is a DPMS :p

4. texashunter

texashunter New Member

Well I heard that the .308 AR is just as accurate as the BAS with the same power I was wondering if that is true

5. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

That would be hard to believe. Most of the time you get the most accurate shots with a bolt rifle. I have seen some AR's that are tack drivers but most of the time bolt rifles win.

6. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

the DPMS AR-10 .308 won the NRA's rifle of the year in i believe 2005. it is rated to be more accurate than a bolt action. hell, if its close to being even as accurate as a bolt action that works for me in a semi-auto LR.

7. Catchingup

Catchingup New Member

Hypothetical questions (is there any other kind?)

1. New DPMS LR-308, stock trigger. ruffer'n a cob. Obvious solution is to do something with the stock trigger (duh), or replace it with an upgrade.

I have a plan for working over the stock trigger. While that's percolating, I'm open to suggestions about various new replacements (Jard, JP, Jewell, Timney, RRA 2-stage match triggers, Chip McCormick, etc.) and I'm trying to find a contact method for Bill Springfield.

I'm aiming for 500-1000 yard target shooting.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There are a lot better AR-10's on the market than the DPMS. But if that's what you want,get one.
    If I was wanting a semi auto 308 for target shooting,I'd buy a Springfield M1A National Match Loaded.It's a lot better rifle than any AR-10 you can find.

9. powg

powg New Member

dpms vs the the savage

they are 2 different species for 2 different operations ....assault /medium range/ long range hope and pray sniping vs kiss your a&^%$ good bye in the next zip code sniping . the best all around semi auto for dual purpose utility work is the fnar .308 not the dpms or any other ar platform.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

He did my trigger and does great work.

Let me google that for you

11. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

alright, im gonna hijack this thread for a fat minute instead of opening a new one. I want a semi-auto long range rifle, and no .50 BoMfG. i love the .308 and i was actually putting my money down to get the DPMS AR-10 .308. i figured it would have to be a .308 cause everyone makes a semi auto in that calibur for long range.

hear someone mention a FNAR? seriously? im not saying bulls**t but...does a rifle that looks like a .22 rimfire plinkster really a bamf? if so hell, im for it, esp at 1200 bucks. So anybody got an concensious on a semi-auto long range rifle thats all around the best at 1k yds thats not an anti-armor calibur and dosent cost so much i have to put collateral down for it?