.308 subsonic load

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by UlicniTrkac, Feb 6, 2014.

1. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

Hello

I am doing some subsonic loads for my 308. Its 1 in 8 twist, and it should be stable with 220 grain lead bullet, that I made with 300 Blackout Lee mold.

I have read almost everywhere that Trail Boss is the powder I should use, but currently only IMR 4320 is available for me.

Any thoughts on starting load with this powder?

Thanks in advance

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Loading under starting charges of any powder can lead to disasterous pressure issues. Attempting to do so would require a filler (like Dacron) and is a fairly advanced endeavor. I would stick with Trail Boss as it is not position sensitive and is intended for loads like this.

3. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Alternative powders that might work, maybe Accurate 5744 or IMR4759. I've used both in the past for reduced loads in rifle cartridges, but don't recall using them in 308. Now days, any reduced loads I do is with Trail Boss.

4. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

I got some shotgun powder to try (name is unknown, nor there are loading data online, only what I had for shot shells).
    I put 10gn of it, and got a 225 m/s on my Chrony.
    With 12 grain, it read 410 m/s.
    I haven't observed any deformation on the brass, but one out of 7 primers went a bit out (not the 12 gn one), and cases I used are some military brass with berdan primers in them.
    Tomorrow, I shall load with 10,1 10,2 10,3 gn etc and use proper Winchester primers to try.
    For the bulkiness, with 17 gn of it its a case full, with 10 its about 60% case full.