.308 Semi-automatic

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by player11111, May 9, 2012.

1. player11111

player11111 New Member

hey everyone, so I just inherited a browning .308 semi auto, but I'm left handed. I have been reassured by my uncle that I will not get powder burn from the casing discharging in front of my face but I am not sure. What do you guys think?

Player

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF.
    It shouldn't be an issue.
    I'm right handed and have shot left hand flintlocks without issue a bolt action should be no problem.

3. player11111

player11111 New Member

This is a semi auto, it automatically discharges spent casings. Sorry if i seem scared, but I just got my gun license in canada and want to avoid injury.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you should be okay. the problems you may face will be hot brass ejecting towards your arm/body. and the safety may work the "wrong" direction than you think it should. go shoot to your hearts content. maybe pay close attention to the brass the first couple shots.

he said semi. not bolt sillygoose ;P

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao guess I need another cup of coffee. Brb

6. player11111

player11111 New Member

thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You MAY be hit by the fired casing being ejected. You should not have an issue with powder burns. While the bolt does retract rather quickly, the bullet is quicker. By the time the action opens and ejects the brass, bullet is well down range, and powder gasses should not be coming out of the ejection port.

BTW, if that rifle is a Browning BAR, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Brownings are very accurate for autoloaders, durable and reliable.

8. player11111

player11111 New Member

how much damage will being hit by a fired casing cause? and it is a browning bar, i was told it is worth around $1000

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You do wear glasses while shooting don't ya? :confused:

You should be good but you could get a Nomex balaclava. :p

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ejected cases are very hot!. after all a major explosion just took place inside of them. on contact with skin they tend to burn very fast. so maybe wear a long sleeve shirt or jacket. after having several cases hit me i tend to not want that to happen. the burns hurt. the actual amount of force they hit you with does not

11. player11111

player11111 New Member

I will definatley use long sleeves. should i be concerned about them hitting me in the face?

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

its always a possibilty. every rifle, ov every caliber ejects empty shells in different directions. for example my friends AR15 ejects all the cases into a nice little pile about 2 feet forward of the muzzle and 5 feet to the right. mine however. send the cases about 10 feet behind me and to the right..

so were some shooting glasses<as you always should> and just kinda watch to see. my bet is that most likely they will hit around your bicep/shoulder area if they hit you at all..

if you are really nervous, dont worry about aiming the first 2 shots. shoot a couple times into the dirt holding the rifle right handed. and watch the brass eject.

13. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

I think you may have a problem. The browning ejects the casings out and at a pretty sharp angle back wards.Here is a you tube vidoe link showing a guy shooting one. Look at the path of the ejected casings.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Fy_J6839g[/ame]

14. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I was a left handed shooter for years. A bottle rocket incident in 04 caused me to convert. I only had right handed guns. When I was shooting left handed I never had a problem with any kind of gun. Shotguns,rifles ,pistols auto bolt or lever. The casings are ejected way out of harms way.

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Dude you need to git that appraised. Last time I seen a bar it was being bought for $20,000.

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well I thank that might have bin a full auto tho. But it won't hurt to check. I still thank it is worth more than $1000 if it's authentic and all parts match.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The rifle being discussed is a civilian semi auto hunting rifle. The military Browning M1918 was a machine gun. Two totally different critters.