308 semi auto

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by fireguy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a Howa axiom stocked .308 that shoots pretty tight groups and want to get something that is a little easier to carry and snap shoot in the same caliber.
    I've looked at the ar-10's and a little at the FAL types, but haven't shot any of them as yet.
    I don't want to go much over the $1200 range, what do you suggest?
    DS Arms was featured on the Outdoor Channel tonight with their FAL variants, but it looks like they start at 1600bucks.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

For that price you may be able to find a used Springfield M1A.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Couldn't see anything in that range on Gunbroker for a stubby M1A. Lowest I saw was $1,469.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Home Page

I find these interesting, but i haven't jumped yet.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Take a look at the Saiga .308, too.

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've considered the Saiga. Might have to look at some AR10' some more.
    I'll hopefully have some extra money at the end of the year for a new gun, we'll see.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Does anyone know about the PTR 91-F made by PTR 91 Inc.?
    Davidson's has a decent price on that.

8. wayne in boca

wayne in boca New Member

Check out the DPMS LR308 AP4 carbine.It's a sweet little 16" barrel AR type,with a free floated foreend ,and quite accurate.I love mine.

9. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

The PTR-91 is a fine package. Lots of HK accessories, cheap mags, very accurate. The delayed roller bolt carrier does not move until the bullet has left the barrel, giving you essentially a bolt action semi-auto. I owned the HK-91, and now the PTR-91, and I cannot tell a difference. All parts are interchangeable.

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

How heavy is it? Can you carry it around easily?
    My Howa has the heavy, 24" barrel and weighs a bunch, good for accuracy and recoil reduction, but a bear to carry.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

You may also want to look at the Rock River Arms LAR-8. They come standard with the two stage National Match Trigger and ltd life time warranty. I have one of those in a 16" Barrel that is capable of 1 MOA Groups at 100 yards. I took it hunting in Texas in 2006 and shot a Buck at 100 yards he was DRT! 150 Gr. Hornady and 3.5 X 10 30mm tube Leupold VXIII Scope. A buddy of mine had a DPMS 08 that seems to be a nice rifle. I have shot it also.

12. skyhawk

skyhawk New Member

13. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've sent an email to a guy who has a DSA Fal on armslist, he hasn't sent me anything back yet. I have a lead on a DPMS AR10 that sounds promising. I think I will be happy with either one. I'm trying to buy used, save a little money.

14. Fuzzyinline

Fuzzyinline New Member

anybody have any experience with the FN .308? light or heavy... im considering this one for going boar hunting.. everyone ive talked to said that one would work wonders... just wanna know peoples experiences before buying..

15. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

A FAL type FN? Or a BAR type FNAR?

I have lots of FAL experience and they are awesome. I just hate the triggers and sights.

Had a BAR and loved it, but went back to bolt action hunting rifles.

Or did mean SCAR?

16. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

They are fine shooters... Just an ugly duckling to look at. Although reliable, you can get better accuracy with many other rifles. (I assume you are not talking about the FAL, but the FNAR .308). The heavy barrel does not buy you any additional accuracy with this rifle.

17. Fuzzyinline

Fuzzyinline New Member

yes, the FNAR .308.... ive heard a lot of reallly good things about this rifle... and i looked at it, and asked questions.. everyone tells me, this rifle would be really good for boar hunting... and as far as the sights and all that, im gonna buy me a scope for it anyways...

18. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Based on the well proven BAR. It is pretty expensive for a hunting rifle. Have you looked at the BAR in .308? WAY cheaper and basically the same rifle, minus the 20rd mag (that you would not use hunting anyway).

19. Fuzzyinline

Fuzzyinline New Member

so ive decided, did my research, asked everyones opinion, and all that... i think im going with the FN heavy 2o .3o8 for boar hunting... i went and looked at one of these rifles, which was the light version, and it was really a nice gun... although it MIGHT not do an exit wound on the boars, i still believe it might kill one shot... depending on the shot placement... sooo, any questions? id love to hear opinions, or advice..

20. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Use ammo loaded with Barnes Triple Shocks.