.308 for M1A Standard recommendations

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hey everyone,
    I have 10 acres of land to have fun in so I dropped the idea of getting a handgun at the moment. I'm going to get Walnut Standard Springfield M1A. My question is regarding ammo. know that some guns do better with specific brands etc, but right now all I've found is around $1 per cartridge by going with name brands. I was wondering what's the best bang for the buck, American made ammo? I'm not going to do any bulls-eye shooting but I'd like to keep it pretty accurate and clean for the gun.
    Throw me what you got!

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

2nd Amendment,

I have a Springfield NM M-1 A Rifle. It likes almost everything I shoot. I shoot a lot of 150 grain bullets. Regarding price Cheaper than Dirt has American Eagle which is good shooting stuff and American made. They have it for around 64 cents a round. Also you can check with DCM and also at a local gun show with a reputable dealer that has some 7.62 quality military rounds. Israeli and etc. Be sure you know what you are buying though.

3. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Sounds good, I didn't know what to think of American Eagle. I'd be shooting 150g ammo. Also I see you have a NM rifle, any reason you got it over the standard? I'm asking because the NM fits my budget.
    Thanks a lot!

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I also have a Springfield NM M1A and it shoots everything I have tried so far very well. If you are not going to do any match shooting and just want your M1A for some semi-auto fun shooting I recommend you go with the Standard model. I say this because the Standard is easier to field strip and clean. The NM version comes with a bedded stock, and this makes it more difficult to field strip. You must take extra care when taking the action out of the stock to avoid disturbing the bedding. Also, the NM front sight works very well for match shooting but it is more difficult to see through. The regular peep sight is easier to use for regular rat-a-tat-tat shooting. It will work very well for shooting objects like cans or even critters at well over 100 yards. From what you said earlier I think you would be happy with the Standard.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

My preference is the NM all though I like the standard also. I am an accuracy freak and the NM Model is built for precise accuracy. I do not prefer the Super Match due to the stock is too fat for my preference. I have shot my NM at 1000 yards on several occasions and it does a fair job at that range. I also have a Springfield Scope mounted on it with a good solid mount and cheek piece I purchased from Fulton Armory.

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Thanks for your replies 03, very good info. At the moment I'm looking a bit more at durability and something tells me that a NM in order to achieve higher accuracy has tighter fittings and therefore won't be as durable. Now that's just what my guts tell me, down the road I plan on becoming an expert at servicing my rifle myself.
    How's a carbon barrel better than the stock one? Are the NM sights better than the stock one? Finally what's an NM over a Loaded?
    I really appreciate your help, I'll be glad to hold something that feels historic while remaining competitive.

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

The NM sights work very well for target shooting but they are more difficult to use. The sight opening is much smaller. You have to squint your eye more than usual to see the target and line up your sight picture. For shooting at objects or critters I would prefer the regular peep sights. It is more difficult to line up and maintain a sight picture on moving objects with the NM sights.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I have the loaded version of the M1A and don't think it has the NM sights. For ammo it seems to like 175 gr. SMK or 168 gr. American Ammunition the best.