308 for Elk??

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Lonewolf44, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Lonewolf44

Lonewolf44 New Member

I just found out that I have drawn a once-in-a-lifetime Bull Elk tag in the Wichita Mountains, in Oklahoma, this year. I have never been elk hunting. Is my 308 large enough to hunt elk? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Hunt away :)

Perfectly fine for Elk. Use a 180 grain soft point bullet and you have an 18 inch bulls-eye for point of aim.

One question though....

Do they really have mountains in Oklahoma???

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

How do you get into the drawing? I'm here in the Metro and would love to have that chance

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

They're really hills now

5. Lonewolf44

Lonewolf44 New Member

You can apply on the Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife Conservation website. The Controlled hunts applications must be filed by May 15th. Only costs 5 dollars to apply for controlled deer hunts and elk hunts.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm gonna check that out. Thanks!

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Yes your .308 will be just fine for elk. Inside 400 yards it is more than adequate for killing them. As a former guide in Montana my favorite is still the .270 with 130 grain silvertips. They aren't hard to kill as people say. Shoot any creature in the chest with an expanding bullet and it will die within 30 seconds or less. I would use 165-180 grain bullets.

8. Lonewolf44

Lonewolf44 New Member

My buddy has offered to let me use his 30-06 for the Elk hunt, I don't now if there will be much of an advantage over my .308? Thank you all for your help. I do appreciate it.

9. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

The main advantage with the .30-06 is more distance. But, like limbkiller said, if you're inside 400 yds, the .308 is just fine. Besides, you will perform better with your own rifle.

Sounds like an awesome hunt - good luck!

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you have never hunted Elk study the animals physiology. Knowing where to place the shots is more important than the difference between a .308 and a .30-06.:)

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

There is no study about. Shoot it in the heart chamber like a any other animal in the deer family.

12. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

use Your own .308 an dont forget to take Alot of photos an give us a Hunt Report... or else!!!

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Shoot it in the heart chamber like any other deer? This is the kind of novice advise that leaves lost elk for the coyotes and magpies.:(

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Where do you shoot a deer, in his ear? Novice my ass. Been hunting for decades. A heart shot has never failed me. Why? See how long you survive been shot in the heart with a .308. Shooting the heart chamber has been passed down throughout the ages way before the US was even discovered (arrows, spears or whatever). It is drilled into hunters in Germany through our year long hunting course. The old culture/hunting tradition has passed this down because it works. I cannot believe you honestly think that a heart shot will not stop a deer. I am amazed by your statement.:eek:

15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Any animal shot in the chest with the right sized bullet will die within seconds. The best shot on any big game animal is in the chest. Period. Neck shots are iffy if the spine isn't hit. Head shots are iffy if the lower jaw is hit. Both are small targets that should be avoided. I can show you tons of pics of deer, bear and elk I have killed. All shot in the chest.

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I all boils down to velocity and the range you can humanly harvest a large animal like an elk, assuming you and our rifle are accurate enough to place the bullet where it belongs. (see above):D
    A 308 will launch a 165 gr bullet at about 2700 fps (2670 ft/lbs), whereas a 300 WBY will launch the same bullet at about 3300 fps (3989 ft/lbs). Point being the terminal effect on the game by the 300 WBY is the same at approx. 275 yds as the 308 at the muzzle! So if you are aware of the 'range' limitations of the 308 it can humanly harvest an elk. ;)
    I personally would limit my shot at an elk to 300 yds or less with a 308, and with a 300 WBY to 550 yds or less.
    To address your question about the 30-06. The same bullet could be launched at about 150 to 200 fps faster than the 308. This is not a significant difference. You would gain about 50 to 75 more yards on your comparative effective range. Is this worth going to the 06? It depends on the range you anticipate on your hunt. But me, I think I would stay with the 308 if you shoot it well!:)
    Hope this helped.
    Jim

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

The 308 is more potent then most people give it credit for with tough 165-180gr bullets. 300 Savages and 30-30s have killed many an elk, there is no reason the 308 would not.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

How can anyone be assured of a clear heart shot? I never said a heart shot was not lethal. We are not Euros we learn hunting by experience. We are not on controlled hunts. The Elk here in the Rocky Mtns. are often in shadows or scrub or moving. There are a number of fatal areas on the body which can provide a proper kill. Many Elk are taken with the 30-30 as well as archery. A hunter should know the anatomy of his intended prey. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  19. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

And the limitations of his weapon and his abilities!!;)

20. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

I'm with Jagermeister on this subject. Saying that aiming for a heart shot is "novice advice" is just plain dumb.
    That's why we say we're "going hunting" instead of "going killing". Sometimes you see a trophy and he just won't present a nice broadside shot. At this point you must decide to try for a riskier shot or just be patient and hope things improve. The only other shot I would try would be a neck shot, but I would only consider that if it were a "last day of the hunt, in the last seconds of shooting light" situation.
    The heart shot is by far the most desirable location to shoot at. Even if you miss the heart, you'll either shoot low with no harm done, shoot forward and probably shatter one or both shoulders, or you'll be a little high or back of the heart in which case you'll have 2 punctured lungs which means he'll run farther but will die and (most likely) leave a nice blood trail.
    Obviously if you try for the heart by way of the deer/elk/mooses ass then the yotes will eat well in a few days. Most seasoned hunters (or unseasoned hunters with common sense) don't make that type of shot.