.308 feed back please

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cndshooter, Dec 8, 2014.

1. cndshooter

cndshooter New Member

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Get the Browning. You may buy other rifles in the future but the Browning will be your favorite. The gunsite scout is ok but it will not do the work of the short trac BAR. A semi auto 308 is a must have gun. In days gone by it was the 30/06 but right now manufacturers are putting their effort in the 308.

I have a BAR and a model 70 winchester. Te BAR goes hunting all the time. I only use the model 70 when I know I will be watching fields.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

The BAR is a great rifle. I don't really know what changes have been made to them but I know the old ones were as good as they come! I would go with it over the Scout any day. :)

4. cndshooter

cndshooter New Member

Thanks for some input I will be buying both - but I forgot to mention as hunting season is now over I had to find something else to hunt - they got a wild hog problem they have put bounty on - so either gun will be suffice i plan on doing some hog hunts - my .300 wsm with two round blind mag will not do on multiple targets so but in the end I will buy both as I've always loved my .308 caliber

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have the Browning Short Trac in my Safe. My best piece of glass sits on it( a Nikon M-308). I have a bad back and I can still manage 308/30-06...unless your going to get a "High End" AR-10 or a 5K custom bolt job, the BAR is your best bet. The QC/QA is outstanding on anything they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. cndshooter

cndshooter New Member

Well I can put an end to this thread early - the browing hog stalker is no longer available to me in canada fml I was geared up to get it

7. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

Savage has a scout rifle coming out...

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you havent decided by now i can highly recommend the mossberg mvp 308 patrol.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Browning BAR is probably the best overall hunting rifle ever made.

10. AnotherHenryBowman

AnotherHenryBowman New Member

Savage makes a great rifle - I've got a 110 in .30-06 that I can constantly shoot .75 inc groups with and a B.Mag. For hunting, I prefer a detachable magazine.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

11. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

I bought a 110BA in 300WM to help me dial in my reloading skills. It is fantastic!
    And heavy

12. AnotherHenryBowman

AnotherHenryBowman New Member

I have lugged my behemoth many miles. Fact is, my confidence in it (and me) is worth it for longer shots. Now, mostly hunt with it out of stands, however.

13. fragout

fragout New Member

If your Canadian, why not try out an M305:)
    Mine is basically an American version with 18.5in tube and Arms18 mount. Weighs in at 8.5 lbs unloaded with sling. Rd count right at the 17k mark.

I have used it to successfully hunt coyote, hogs, 3 species of deer, antelope,bear, elk, moose, and bison. ( lower48 and Alaska).

All types of different terrain, altitudes, and weather that my BAR St. or Ruger SR762 wouldn't survive in. ( Both are now sold off)

My 3 primary hunting loads are 168gr OTM, 165gr Sierra Game King, and 168gr Barnes TTSX.
    ( Same with my Ruger GSR)
    The GSR is a decent handy little rifle, but not in the same league as the semi. ( Mine is now set up as a dedicated night time hog, coyote dumper with can and 3gen nvs.)

Hogs and deer anywhere from spittin distance on out past 500yards via 168gr OTM and my version of your m305.
    ( A friend of mine has used his m305 to hunt polar bear, grizzly, caribou,musk ox,and moose.)

Of the comparisons I have done with mine, the M14S has the most to offer in terms of reliability , better iron sights, overall balance, and ergonomics. The attributes I look for in a huntin rifle for offhand shooting, stalk hunting, and puttin as many hogs as possible in the dirt.

It is the rifle sittin below my SAI M1A A1 in the photo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2015