.308 cal rifle with detachable mag

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jeremyx28, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Hi all. I'm looking for a starting point. I would like to find a rifle in .308 Cal that I can get a detachable magazine. What I'm looking to do is build a "sniper" looking rifle. Something I can put a skeletonized stock on, muzzle break, scope and maybe have a 10 round or so detachable mag. This is something I'm looking to do over time and fyi, I'm not loaded so trying to keep my costs down. I couldn't and will not buy a 1000 dollar rifle. Like I said, just looking for a starting point rifle. Thanks in advance for your input

2. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

This is what I would like my rifle to look like eventually. I stress "look like"

webdrag.jpg

My pic isn't showing up, not sure if you all can see it

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well we ain't asking for much are we? what does a "sniper rifle" look like?

with all you are wanting, (308, DM, MB, scope, ect.) i just can't think of anything that meets your criteria, cheaply. closest thing is maybe building an AR in 308 over time, piece by piece is about the best i can come up with. might be some MilSurps that might fit the bill, but none i can think of cheaply in cost.

and BTW, most of us really hate the term "sniper rifle". if you ain't in the military or a LE trained sniper, then it's just a target rifle. "sniper rifle" is one of those terms the anti gunners and the media likes to use to make rifles look bad to the unsuspecting public.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you want a Dragunov looking rifle then a PSL may be what you should look into. It is just an upsized AK. It is available in 7.62x54R which is readily available in bulk quantities at good prices and perfroms similar to a .308. Also, I think I.O. Inc had some that were actually chambered in .308, but the mags were special and not as readily available as standard PSL mags.

A PSL in 7.62x54R can sometimes be found used for about $700-$800 with mags and scope. Ammo can be purchased at around $100 for $440 rounds or sometimes cheaper than that. You won't get .308 ammo at those prices.

Anoteh option would be to get a Saiga in .308 and you could get custom work over time. Once you get it customized it will be over $1000.

Does it have to actually perform or just look like a "sniper rifle"?

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just "bite the bullet" on cost, and get one from Accuracy International.

That's where the Royal Marine Commando snipers get theirs.:)

6. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

@axxe I never said I wanted a sniper rifle, I said I wanted to achieve the sniper rifle look, but thanks for the info. As far as an ak or saiga or even an ar, that's not the direction I'm looking to go. I'm really looking into an upgradeable hunting rifle. My biggest thing is detachable mag and an aftermarket stock. I'll keep looking but thank you to those who posted

7. Axxe55

then check out the Savage Axis, 308, DM, and can get an aftermarket laminated stock. has decent accuracy, AccuTrigger, and well made. another good option, the Marlin XS7 in 308. has an adjustable trigger, very well made, very accurate, and can get an aftermarket laminated scope, but no DM. both are bolt action and are very decently priced.

8. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Looks like the Remington 700 has everything I'm looking for. Lots of stocks, magazine conversion plus everything else I want. Anyone have experience with the rem700?

9. Axxe55

i have a few! as far as bolt action rifles, with the exception of the Mauser, the M700 has the most aftermarket support in regards to parts and accessories. it's a very good platform to build upon also.

10. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Now I just have to hit the classified and find one. I really don't care about stock condition because its going to get replaced anyway. Hopefully I can find something. Thanks for your help

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get a 700 from the factory with a synthetic stock.

12. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Yeah, I would rather get the one I wanted. Plus I want a used 700 so I can hopefully save some money

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some sniper rifles built on the Rem 700? Or at least they used to be? I would have suggested Savage also, but you specify a 10 round mag. Savage doesn't seem to have much in the way of hi-cap mags, and there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support, either......

14. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

The M24 Sniper system is built off a Model 700 platform. I think it's chambered in .300 mag typically.

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Jeremy me-boy, do not rush into buying this gun. Get a nice .22 to practice with, subscribe to a good gunzine for a year including American Rifleman thru your new NRA membership and read everything, come here and read for a year, talk to folks at the range over sodapops, and THEN see what you want to do and how... Just my $0.02.

16. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

17. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

I have a ruger 10/22 that I shoot a lot. My only other rifle is a saiga 223 that I have done a lot of mods to (stock, trigger group, threaded barrel, etc) and I enjoyed every minute of working on. So I'm looking for a new project. I figure since I don't have a larger caliber rifle that the rem 700 would be a good project for my next build.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

here is my savage 10FCP-SR.

[​IMG]

the bottom metal is from accurate mag which fits a wide variety of different actions according to their website the mags come in 5 or 10 rounds. there are just as many aftermarket add-ons for the savage model 10. changing barrels is super easy and totally do-able at home with a few tools.

i would suggest getting a savage model 10 reciever and going from there. you can get super cheap used beat to hell model 10 shortaction rifle and rebarrel them yourself. cant do that with out a chamber reamer on the remington 700 action which takes some skill to use or a gunsmith that actually knows what they are doing (few and far between or pricey)

the savage accutrigger is really good. my model 10 is hanging around 2.75 inches at 300 yards and just around a half inch at 100 yards. if i was a better shooter my 300 yard groups would be smaller

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Don't know if u can trust Jon M -- he clearly plays w/cats!

Seriously, a good if not better option(s). Actually, Mossberg came out with .223 bolts that uses AR mags -- MVP series(?).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, yeah, who doesn't like to play with ***** every now and then?:D

JonM, I stand corrected. That is one nice Savage. I'm impressed. Is that an actual suppressor on there? And, if you don't mind me asking, how much dough for the whole thing, minus the can?