308 bolt action?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tenntyrant, Nov 13, 2011.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

What scope should I get for my new 308? I want a good one but want to stay under 250.00 is that possible?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

what are you doing with the rifle?? it just depends on your intended usage. hunting needs are different than long range target shooting which is different than a tactical role to be employed in a shtf type situation...

3. Seven

Seven New Member

4. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I will be using it to hunt and shtf I live in Tennessee would like to be pretty accurate at 300 yards

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the Nikon Prostaff, very good scopes, also the Swift Premier scopes are very good scopes.

6. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

I have the ProStaff 4x12 BDC on my 308 Howa 20 in HB. It will well serve you to past 300 yards.

Jimmy

7. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I got a cheaper BSA on my 50 cal muzzle loader, and my dad has the same one on his deer hunting shot gun, but for a cheap scope it is very clear and functions great. I will see if i can find the link for them.

8. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Ok I looked at a leupold rifleman, vx1, and a nikon monarch all in 3x9x40 which one should I get or should I get something else?

9. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I have decided to save a little and spend up to 500 on a scope need some recommendations.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

For SHTF a single power is best. Less to go wrong. My 6.5x55 hunter wears a 4x32. It may seem small, but it is a 300 yard rifle as set up. The scope is an old Pentax game seeker w/ a ballistic plex reticule. 0 to 300 yards without touching a thing. A Sightron SII in a 2-7x would be more then you would ever need.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

even saving money i would still go with a nikon, they are great scopes for the price. durable. crisp and clear. or maybe look into the bushnell 3200 series. i have a 3200 elite 3x9x40 on my win. 308. works great

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

If u want to spend right at 400 u cant go wrong with the ziess conquest their optics are some of the finest in the optics world

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Also their customer service is top notch. I fell last yr went down about 15 feet ,broke my leg, an my ziess took a pounding broke the eye piece. I called them told what happened they told me to send it in, I did an in less than 2 weeks had a bran new one at my door. They didnt fix mine they replaced it no charge

14. Axxe55

i had a ziess scope years ago, probably one of the best scopes i ever owned, but it cost an arm and a leg! :)

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I know a little about this.

It’s often cheaper, faster and easier for a manufacturer to just send a new item off the production line then repair one. Repairs are relatively labor intensive because they need to be done one by one. Sending in the damaged item is more for proof that someone had purchased the item and that the company had received payment for it. The company doesn’t want to be giving their product away.

The damaged item may be taken down and undamaged parts recycled to the line if the components are more valuable than the labor required to do it.

It's good to know which companies support their customers, however they do it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  16. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

At the $500 mark I'd prolly look at a Leupold VX-3.

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Probably a more important question is what is a relyable mounting system for the scope. Which scope to use is very subjective on any rifle. There are as many right scopes as there are scopes, some are more right than others. A good scope for hunting is not necessarily good enough for target. For the most part a good scope will out shoot the rifle and the rifleman. A great scope will always out shoot a good scope,the rifle and the rifleman but will never be better than the mounting system.

18. Axxe55

if the OP only has a budget of $250, then some of the brands suggested, might as well cost $1000. there are some good scopes in his price range, and the ones that come to mind are the Swift's, Nikon's, the Bushnell's, ect. ect.

19. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x and it is clear, relatively light and well made. Redfield Revolutions are made in the same Oregon factory as Leupolds and they are priced around $150.

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The new redfields are a hell of a bang for the buck, very good glass, exelent light transmission, lifetime warranty