308 bolt action starter rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by degovernator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. degovernator

degovernator New Member

Im lookin to buy a fairly cheap 308 bolt action preferably with a detatchable mag for around 500 dollars. Im just wondering which would be the best quality in that range. Also if the gun has intercgangeable parts its a big plus. Ie... stock. Trigger.. barrel etc. Thanks

2. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

H&R HandiRifle? Not bolt action but new rifle and scope easily for $500 and many barrel choices.

3. degovernator

degovernator New Member

Looks pretty good but are those single shot? Also im trying for something specifically long range like 300 plus yards.

4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

700 SPS tactical. It's a solid shooter out of the box.

5. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Then you can do whatever you want later on to upgrade it. It doesn't come with a detach mag, but that's something you can add later.

6. degovernator

degovernator New Member

Yep. That looks good are those better quality than the cheap 308 savages? Also any idea where I can get one cheapest? Thanks again

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Buds Gun Shop has fair prices. I check the price at Buds and look for a better price. When you see a better price than Buds make sure the gun is in stock. Some sites will knock $200 off the price of the gun when they are out of stock. When they actually have the gun it will be considerably more.

8. degovernator

degovernator New Member

Buds is runnung more at 600 but I think the 700 sps tac. Has heavy barrel right? If so then thats exactly what I want .

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Model 700 SPS tactical rifle with Hogue overmold soft touch stock, dual point piller bedding for solid foundation to bed action. Two-position thumb safety. All black oxide blasted finish with 20" heavy contour tactical style barrel.
    $621 if you mail a check. $639 if you use a credit card.

Anytime I buy a new gun I use my credit card even if I have to pay a fee for using a credit card. In the event something goes awry you have an advocate in your CC consumer protection. Kel Tec jerked me around for 5 months. I called the consumer advocate at my credit card company and Kel Tec got my gun back to me in two weeks.

10. degovernator

degovernator New Member

11. pigkiller72

pigkiller72 New Member

The Howa 1500 series, and Weatherby Vanguards are good rifles. I like the varmint profile barrels myself. They are pretty much an improved Remington 700 clone. Spend your money wisely, and buy the best you can afford.

12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Its a big argument as to which is better: Savage or Remington, so thatll be left up to you.
    There are several entry level bolt guns out there now that would probly work for you. All of them are pretty basic tho, cheap hollow plastic stock, sporter weight barrel, just a basic cheap hunting rifle.
    Most of the SPS series also have a semi-junk stock. It can be modded or upgraded tho, as time goes on. So can the x-mark pro trigger.
    I havent found a Savage bolt that I'd trade any of my Remingtons for, but that is MY opinion only, and not meant to start any argument.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I just acquired a 1500 in 300 mag. It is a good shooting rifle. If I don't sell it before I find a suitable scope it will move the 91/30 out of the barn. Most shots from the barn are over 300 yards. I killed a coyote @ 580 yards with the 91/30. I have seen another coyote and a fox since. I missed both of them. The Howa with a decent scope will improve my hit rate.

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I bought a Stevens 200 new for $300 which left more for me to spend on glass. No detachable mag and a sporting barrel but very accurate. there is a simple procedure to lighten the trigger I did myself. I'm very satisfied with it and love the way it feels which made me buy it in the first place. After about 60 rounds of break in, the first three rounds through a cold barrel are less than 1 MOA. I do like Remingtons but for the money it's a great rifle.

15. degovernator

degovernator New Member

Isnt stevens a branch of savage? Maybe not idk.. can you change the stock and barrel alsi?

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Took a chance on the new Remington 783 last month in .270 Winchester. $400 gun with a $90 Bushnell scope doing 3/8" groups at 100 yards. Seems very durable. Shoots as well as my 700 (shhhh keep that quiet)

image-3857159224.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Stevens is Savage or made by the same although The 200 is better made than the Axis in my opinion.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looking for a bolt action rifle with lots of aftermarket support for parts and accessories, well that is pretty much going to be the Remington M700, the Savage bolt actions, and the Mauser actioned rifles.

on the Remington M700's and the Mausers, most work will have to be done by a gunsmith, especially parts like barrels and such. with a few tools and some knowledge about rifles, a person can build a Savage rifle from scratch and have a dang nice rifle, without resorting to a gunsmith.

check out the pawn shops and gun stores for used rifles. many times, yu can make some good deals on used rifles that are in decent to very good condition, for much cheaper than new. sometimes they might even have a scope already on them.

19. degovernator

degovernator New Member

Are the savages as good as remington of about the same price.. ie. If I buy a 600 dollar savage will it be as good as a 600 doller rem?

20. oldtymer35

oldtymer35 New Member

I recently puchased a Ruger American in .308 Winchester. From the brief range session (sighting in and shooting a few 3-shot groups), I believe this will be a M.O.A. rifle. Also, it has a 4-round, rotary, flush magazine. This is my first non-wood stocked rifle and it handles quite well.