.308 and recoil

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lonewolf101, Jul 9, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I have a cheap savage edge and today was the first time I shot it.Man! that not a MILD RECOIL I was using 180 gr. remintons I reload so I going to use 168 gr. ttsx I dont know if that will help or not also a guy at the range today told me to fill the but stock with shot gun pellets or a musel break is there anything else I can do??

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You could try a recoil pad from Cabelas or something like that.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Just buy a limb saver butt pad. I shoot a Howa .308 HB all the time, sold my Browning BLR, it was quite abusive even w/ standard 150gr. I shoot 165gr hunting bullets all the time in my Howa, like shooting a .223. I put a limb saver on my old Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag. It is a slight push and a joy to shoot. Save your money and buy more bullets w/ the savings.
    Savage w/ Limbsaver.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. skyhawk

skyhawk New Member

Or...you could buy another rifle in a larger caliber such as .300 win/7mm. Then your .308 won't seem so bad and you have another rifle :).

Now to why I really posted. jpattersonnh I too have an old Savage 110 in 7mm and I am curious to know what size of groups you are getting. I would like to upgrade the scope, but only if I would gain noticeable accuracy. BTW sorry for the slight thread diversion.

5. jpattersonnh

Mine is a Sierra lite, 7lb w/ the scope. The barrel is very thin, not your standard barrel contour. I judge it w/ 2 shot groups. I've only needed more then 1 shot once. That was partly my fault for not realizing the bullet construction I was using was to fragile at the velocity it hit at 100 yards. Damb thing exploded on a rib. Lots of factors went into choosing the scope I have. I use a Weaver V10, 2-10x38mm. 400 yards is no issue. 1st cold bore shot is everything w/ my hunters. I can't stand big bell scopes, they are a fad that will soon pass. 1st shot is sometimes all you get!

6. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

Shot one once, brought a tear to my eye!

Back in my hunting days I used a 22-250 and made neck shots out to 300 yards. I never had to look for my kill and I never had to shoot more than once. My 22-250 would hold 1/2" groups at 200 yards.

Getting pounded by these big calibers and wasting meat always bothered me, especially since a big gun is not needed to take the size deer we have in this country.

I would sell the gun and get something fun to shoot.

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Take the factory recoil pad off the rifle and put a Limbsaver or Decel pad on the gun. The factory pads, if your rifle has one, kind of suck when it comes to doing a good job on reducing felt recoil.

8. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

That was all good info I have the buttpad that came with the gun The gun also has a thin barel that after two or three shots it hot! maybe put a bullbarel on for heat? I also have a .223 in savage maybe this year use the .223 on deer going up to 62 grains barnes ttsx.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have a win model 70 .308 i love it. my uncle has helped me to reload. and i am using 42gr with 150 gr hpbt or 150gr spbt for deer hunting. it helped alot with recoil and is super accurate in my rifle

10. formerCav

formerCav Member

buy a DPMS LAR 308 and you can mount a scope on it and it comes in .308.
    Your light barreled rifle is always going to "kick".
    I have a Whetherby Mark V in .270 winchester and the only thing I have that kicks worse is an 8mm Mauser with the steel butt plate.
    My 308's, M1A, and FAL's have virtually no recoil as it is absorbed in the semi automatic mechanism.
    HTH
    Bob
    PS. If you keep the Savage, and if you put a bull barrel on it you will have to relieve the stock. If you put a muzzle brake on it, you might change the point of impact as well.

11. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Thanks alot I'l try and take the old pad off and put a good one on.

12. jpattersonnh

Don't do it! Get a good butt pad for the .308. Don't worry about barrel contour on a hunter. Get a target rifle if you want to target shoot. My .308 HB is 11.75lb, my Savage 7mm Rem Mag is under 7.5lb. My Husqvarna 6.5x55 1600 is 6.75lb and my M46a Husqvarna 9.36x57 is 6.5lb. Which rifles do you think I hunt with?
    9.3 w/ 286gr at 2250fps MV, hits like a frieght train up to 150 yards. Rifle has open express sights.
    [​IMG]
    6.5x55 shoots 120gr ..160gr very well. Plenty of energy left at 300 for even Elk sized animals w/ heavier bullets.
    [​IMG]
    One of my favorite calibers, 8x57. W/ a 175gr or above it will take anything in the lower 48. I put a new stock on this 1955 Husqvarna '98 last winter.
    [​IMG]

Trust me, when your in the field, you won't notice recoil or noise.

This is not what you want to hump around all day!!
    [​IMG]

13. fireguy

fireguy New Member

14. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

2 words X 2

less powder & lighter projectile

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Just the butt pad change out please. Don't waste your time or $$$ changing out the barrel. It's a hunting rifle leave it as such. You will be surprised what a custom fit Limbsaver or Decel pad will do for reduction in felt recoil. Get the 1" thick one if that .308 Win. caliber was really harsh for you. It will take several rounds back to back before heat even begins to become a problem with that factory barrel.

16. iluv2shoot2

iluv2shoot2 New Member

13 months ago I had back surgery and have never healed. I am going to buy a .308 because the recoil is less than my savage 110 .207. that old gun kicks, and ruins a lot of meat to

17. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I think what I'l do to the .308win to make it easyer on my shoulder is I want to take the thin barell out put a bull barell in a lighter trigger limb saver pad thats should do the trick and save my shoulder! lucky I didnt buy the marlin 45/70!.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Lonewolf,

Another thing you can do that I know has been done by others with rifles that need a little additional weight to reduce the recoil. Is first before you get it dialed in for final zero. Remove the receiver and barrel from the stock. Check for any intersecting holes in the stock due to the follow process. Remove the Butt Pad. They used Auto Body Filler to fill all the stock with, which added a reasonable amount of weight to the rifle. I suppose you could mix in a few ounces of shot if you chose to do so. I do not know of any that used shot to increase the weight but you could. And you certainly would know the weight of the Auto Body Filler prior to inserting it into the stock. *Now you know why you want to make sure there are no intersecting holes that might allow the filler to ooze out while filling and figure out how to control it so you do not generate more work and can clean it off the area immediately! Certainly let everything completely dry before reinstalling the Receiver and Barrel.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A .308 does not kick badly. Don't be a baby!!

I have never tried the Limbsaver pads, but hear good things. I put a Pachmyer Decellerator pad on my 45-70 Guide Gun and it is a real kitten now. Felt recoil is no more than a 12 ga High Velocity 1 oz slug.:cool:

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Limbsavers are a good quality unit but I favor the Pachmayr Decelerator on all my rifles.

You can have the barrel turned down in the front and have a muzzle break added to reduce felt recoil. Greatly increases noise around the shooter, but a well designed one works wonders.

You can try an old trick that is seldom used anymore. Have the stock drilled and add weight (shotgun shot, sand, lead, even a product called a mercury vial used to be installed).

Just some options and/or food for thought.

JD