303 lee enfield

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dzander, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dzander

dzander New Member

I have a 1919 smle lithgow. It has all matching numbers and when i lift the rear ramp sight it has a HV on the barrel. I didn't want to cut on this nice rifle or risk damaging the wood i bought a aftermarket forearm and butt combo from cabbalas for it my problem is this rifle was pretty accurate before the swap now not so much. The other issue i would like to put a scope on it but do not want to drill it i do believe it originally was sent out with a scope but what i have seen on the original scopes and mounts are worth their weight in gold. Any ideas or does anyone know if the clamp style also sold through cabbalas is good (i didn't find any reviews). Last i am looking for ammo besides the fmj or the Remington sp cor lok. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I also own several 06's and 308 and a 270 i have other options just like the idea of having the option of using this piece of history as well

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The original SMLEs did not use scopes. If you start drilling, tapping, cutting, the value of your rifle as a collector's item just went away- same for after market stocks.

If you are intent on scoping it (and again, would not be my first choice of a rifle to modify) there are scope mounts that attach to the left side of the receiver (about $35-$40) and mounts that take the place of the rear sight (using a long eye relief scope mounted forward of the chamber).

You can take a $250 rifle, put $$300 in it, and end up with a $100 rifle.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

7.62 NATO.jpg This one is a 2A & when I found it the only wood that was left on it was the butt stock, and I got it cheap so this is what I did.........Also have a No4.

Attached Files:

• No4.jpg
      No4.jpg
      File size:
      102.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

The new stock is not fit to the barrel and action as the old one was, thus negative accuracy. There are origional stock sets available for these rifles. You can find 303 ammo in quite a few places on line. I buy Privi Partizan for about $14 a box. Restore the 303 and appreciate it for what it is.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Agreed!
    To help your old stock, just give it a few coats of BLO (boiled linseed oil). That is what every Brit soldier was required to do weekly.

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You shouldnt mess with history but if you want to sell the origional stock, I may be interested. My #4 mk 1 Really likes Remy Core locs 150 gr.
    How about some pics.
    Gander mountain here in Erie Pa. Price these Enfields @ $400 + but they don't have a clue. A #1 mk 3 in nice condition all origional at $375 and one that's bubbed for $459. <<<< not a clue!!!

7. dzander

dzander New Member

I like the scope location what type of mount did you use?

8. dzander

dzander New Member

I have no intention of drilling it. Cabellas offers a clamp on style base just not to sure of its quality. I put the aftermarket stock on it and have the original wood and metal in a area in my gun cabinet. I love historic military rifles and have had a German 8mm Mauser that i was young and dumb and had the bolt turned down to allow a scope and the wood sporterized. I have never forgiven myself i also hope to get a 1903 springfield someday and a Garand if the cost drops. Not to keen on the Japanese rifles though.

9. dzander

dzander New Member

Also what type of ammo do you use

10. dzander

dzander New Member

Thank you. I have considered putting the original wood and hardware back on. But the weight is a issue.

11. dzander

dzander New Member

I appreciate the offer but i couldnt bring myself to part with any of this rifle. When i was in my teens then again in my early 20's I sporterized a 8mm Mauser and then screwed up a 303 that had peep sights because i didnt favor the peeps. I joined a club in England that gave me info on getting the history on my rifle and also downloaded ballistic charts long range charts and alot of other useful info and the UK manual on it. The aftermarket stock was to lighten it and allow me to not blemish the wood although it is a tough customer. One thing i have also noticed is that most of the 303's released were modified beyond repair. Mine was nice with matching numbers but it took quite awhile to get the packing gel out of everything and in warmer temps it bled it out for awhile. I thank you for the additional info and i might put it back together and put some pics on. Note i didnt sand it or do anything but clean it and shoot

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Most of us here are glad you feel that way.My first gun was a Santa Fe Lee that was sporterized by a company named Golden State Arms. I did put a synthetic stock on it to replace the cut down origional. I have several milsurps of varying nations including more than a couple of Mosin 91/30s. although I don't value the Mosins as I do some of the others, I am at the finish of a non Bubba sporterization which I have enjoyed. I can completely restore it in a matter of minutes. Right now I have this little devil on one shoulder with a scope and mounts and his counterpart with all the origional parts and a screw driver on the other shoulder. I do have sporting rifles so I probably will never drill it, but my eyes arent getting younger and I would like to see just how accurate it can be.

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Which one the 2A or the No4 ?

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Here is a before picture of the No4. & this is what it looked like when I got it.

Attached Files:

15. dzander

dzander New Member

The one that is set back over the receiver.

16. dzander

dzander New Member

I tried to upload some pictures but dont see them. I will check back let me know if you can or if i need to redo it.