303 and 30-40 krag

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Nfernaays, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

Thinking about reloading for 303 and 30-40 krag do these two calibers use same bullets when reloading?

2. 1hole

1hole New Member

Can but it's not ideal. The British round is best with a .311"-.312" bullet and the American round normally takes a .308".

3. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

No, .303 bullets are typically .312 inch (7.9 mm) diameter while 30-40 Krag bullets are typically .308 inch (7.8mm) diameter. Typical common bullet weight is very close, 174 grain for .303 and 180 grain fir the 30-40. Coincidentally the shell rim is about the same size, so you use the same reloading shell-holder. That should at least save you $2 to $10 at least.

4. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The .303 is one caliber bigger than the .30-40 Krag...............

6. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

What about primers and powder on these are they interchangeable? Obviously amounts of powder may change between the two

7. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Most likely, you'll use American Boxer primed brass. In that case, both will use large rifle primers. As to powder, you HAVE to consult a good reloading manual. I use IMR-4064 for .303. Its a nice slow burning powder. I don't see any reason that you won't find loads for that or another similar powder for the 30-40.

Don't even think about trying to reload foreign Berdan primed brass for the .303. Its not worth the serious pain in the *** it is.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I reload both. I use Remington 9 1/2 standard large rifle primers. (they're MilSpec) snd either IMR or Hodgdon 4895. 4064, 4320, and even 3031 will give very good results with either of these calibers.

BTW, I've had far better luck with round nose bullets in the Krag.

9. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

From what i researched ill be able to use the same powder and primers when i do .270 rounds as well

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hopefully you are posting about a 303 British and not a 303 Savage. Major difference.

11. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

12. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

Made my first five rounds for the 303 tonight shooting saturday!

13. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Excellent, which bullet, what weight, which powder, how much... Share

14. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

Sierra pro hunters in. 311 imr 4895 cci large primers...question used dipper from lee pacesetter die set its 2.8 cc of powder...with that powder it should be correct for load conformation on that wld put me at ease before i go to the range tomorrow

15. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

First five loads ranging tomorrow

Attached Files:

16. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Smart, to load only a few. Good luck tomorrow. Would strongly encourage you to get a little powder scale. Volumetric measurements make me a bit uncomfortable, with smokeless powder. Small digital scales from multiple manufacturers cost around $35. And will give you peace of mind and the ability to change your lads precisely. I have one from "smart reloader" that I like a lot.

17. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

They are 180 grain pro hunters

18. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

2.8 cc to hot of a load cracked and buldged some cases near the rim

19. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Sheesh....

And that is why you use a good reloading manual to find exact loads with the exact charge, with the exact bullet weight and material and for your exact powder you will be using, and for the exact primer type.

And then WEIGH your powder accurately using a powder scale, rather than use a volumetric measure such as a scoop that came with your dies with a random powder, the first one you can grab.

You're extremely lucky that you did not blow up your gun and hurt yourself. Learn from this please.

Learn to reload properly, before you make yourself a story on the evening news.

20. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

Lesson learned scale and callipers purchased today after review it was under do not exceed measurements but approching them for sure

I made more to exact grains and not putting an extra crimp on these ones should also help