.300 win mag?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ben91, May 18, 2012.

1. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

So I've been dealing with firearms since i was 12. I'm 20 now and am looking at getting a rifle of my own. Currently i use my father's .243 win for deer. I was leaning toward the 30-06, but i would like to go long range hunting also and I've heard that the 06 isn't the greatest long range round. So i turned my attention to the .300 win mag. Any thing i should know about it?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The 300win mag will ruin to much meat if your deer hunting what do you mean by long range?

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well Ben, the 300 Win. Mag. is a very good round for seasoned shooters. but stepping up from a 243 to a 300 WM is a big jump! the recoil on the 300 WM can be brutal. i would suggest starting with either the 30-06, a 308 or even a 270 and work up to a 7mm Mag before tackling the 300. being able to shoot accurately with a rifle is about spending lots of time behind the trigger and sending rounds downrange. stepping into a 300, you will tire very quickly and never achieve your goal. i have shot many large magnum calibers and have owned several, and from past experiance, they have the tendency to pound your shoulder and if not use to it, it will cause you to develop a flinch, which will affect your shooting and is hard to break. start smaller and build up to bigger first. another factor to consider, is the price of shooting larger caliber magnums, it ain't cheap. most people i know that shoot them very regularily, reload their ammo, because it is expensive.

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I agree with ax the 300win will pound your shoulder if you want anything over 300 yards first make sure you can keep a good pattern at that range i would recommend the 270. It has the range a good flat trajectory, start small then work up

5. Werminator

Werminator Member

I would suggest a .308... great round for most distances... a little much for most deer in my opinion but if going big is your goal it would be a good place to look. Ammo is much more reasonably priced most of the time too...

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

With the various 300s you just need to make sure you get a scope with long eye relief, so that you don't bang the scope against your eye and get a bad case of scope-eye.

There is more than one 300 these days.

300 H&H
    300 rem SA Ultra mag
    300 rem ultra mag
    300 ruger compact mag
    300 savage
    300 weatherby mag
    300 win mag
    300 win short mag

There is nothing particularly sacred about the 300 win mag.

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Definitely NOT a long range gun on game however.

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The 270 is a necked down 30-06. That makes the bullet perform better.

It would indeed be a good choice.

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Your completely WRONG!

I've shot a 300WM for many years,and it doesn't do anymore damage to an animal than any other .308 caliber rifle. Yes,it has a longer,flatter tragetory than the same bullet out of a 308 or 30/06,but the same bullet shot out of those weapons will do the same type of expansion upon impact that a 300WM does.

To the OP,A 308 or 30/06 will serve you well for any range you plan to shoot deer in,and will also have less cost and recoil.
    Most hunting occurs at less than 300 yards,and unless you know how to shoot good at longer ranges,I'd stick with targets-not animals.
    Too many people wound animals trying to shoot beyond their capabilities.

A 308 or 30/06 will shoot 800-1000 yards easily,but most people couldn't hit a 5'x5' target at that range without shooting several rounds down range.

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

As long as you don't shoot it in the hams this should not be a problem

There is usually not much meat on the ribs anyway.

You are right that the mag rifles tend to cause intrance and exit wounds.

11. USMCVeteran

USMCVeteran New Member

I own a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WinMag, it's a "belted" magnum cartridge. axxe55 is right, it can be brutal to shoot. Mine usually nails me with the scope right between the eyes when I shoot it.

12. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

The main reason that i would probably go for the 06 or the 308 is that the ammo is cheaper. I have fired the 06, 308, and the 270. So i know that i can handle the recoil on them. But the added hitting power of the 300wm is what made me think about it. I have been wanting to go elk or moose, maybe even black bear. And my uncle has told me about a few stories of hunters hitting there mark with the 06 but not droping the said animals. Chances are i'll end up getting an 06, just because its a known quantity for me.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

don't discount the 30-06 in the fact that it can and has taken just about any animal there is in North America. loaded with the proper ammo, it can take just about anything. the 30-06 is probably the most versatile and used caliber there is. it has been a proven performer for decades. i for one, am a large fan of the 30-06 and it's history. if there ever was one caliber that could be considered the one and only ever needed to do anything, the 30-06 would probably be it! get a 30-06 and you will never be disappointed.

14. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

The .300 WM is an excelent cartridge. To take advantage of the .300 case it is best to make your own ammo. I load anywhere from 150 gr. at 2700 fps. to 180 gr.at 3000 fps. depending on where and what I am hunting.
    I have also found it to be a very accurate cartridge in a good gun.
    TGR