300 rum vs. 338 lapua

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by aztman, Nov 8, 2011.

1. aztman

aztman New Member

opinions on best for long range hunting?

2. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

.338 Lapua or .338 RUM Bar None compared to the 300 Ultra. I shoot 300 grain Siera Matchkings with my 338. Very high BC's. The wind has a hard time pushing that heavy bullet around. They are devastating to game.

3. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

I wasn't even aware that .338 Lapula was a hunting round. Thought it was purely designed for military use.

4. aztman

aztman New Member

338 rum or 338 lapua which one do you shoot im a little thick?

5. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I shoot a .338 RUM which is almost identical ballistically to the 338 Lapua(just a little slower).

6. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

The .338 RUM has something like 97lbs of recoil, prepare to get your ass kicked.

7. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Yeah, you need a good break and a heavy rifle. Mine feels like a 22 as far as recoil is concerned.

8. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

im no wimp to magnum hits but i do not think a 300 grain bullet is any thing i would want to shoot moor then 3 times a 250 grain bullet im good for about 5 rounds 200 grain rounds i can shoot 20 rounds no problem. i have no muzzle break as far as recoil its not a 22

9. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Yeah without a break the recoil is fierce and not very fun.

10. aztman

aztman New Member

my 7mm stainless stalker was a bitch until i had a muzzlebrake installed now its a *****cat, wont have another magnum without one.

11. nygunnut

nygunnut New Member

well you can use ALMOST any military round for hunting. however you are correct in the fact that it is a military round. the .338 Lapua was originally designed after someone finally pointed out that the .50 BMG was not made for long distances, it was far too fat, and thus couldnt cut through the air and wind as well as a smaller diameter round could. the .338 Lapua holds the record for the longest confirmed kill during battle, 2.5 miles (yes thats right 2.5 miles) by a british special forces officer. but it still can take virtually any game at a fair distance in the hands of an amateur hunter.

12. Tuner

Tuner New Member

nygunnut, what is your source of information on that 2.5 mile shot. The longest I was able to find Googling the subject was something like 2.4 kilometers or 8,100+ feet. You are talking about a 13,200 foot shot, a shot that is 62% longer then the previous longest shot, not 50 or 100 or 300 feet, but 5,200+ feet longer. The other thing that does not sound right is you said that it was made by an officer; I have never heard of officers being involved or participating in sniper training or becoming a sniper. I would like to see some additional sources of information on this shot.