300 HAM'R

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JTJ, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

No, not at Walmart. It is an AR15 caliber.

2. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Surprisingly, I was at my local Walmart yesterday and they had the 3 Winchester offerings of the 350 Legend on the shelf - 145 grain, 150 grain, and 180 grain. Surprised me as this seems to go against their "We won't sell ammo for evil assault rifles" policy. Yes, the 350 Legend also comes in bolt rifles but the same can be said for .223 and just about any other caliber. So for now anyway, it seems they are selling 350 Legend ammo.

Oldoutlaw and Shopfox like this.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope they get some in here. Could be now that they will.

4. GSI

GSI New Member

I just got on this site looking for people who have a 300 Hamr, because I do. I had a Grendel and was not all that impressed. Why? It took a 24” barrel to make the same velocity as my 16”. Yes I understand that the 6.5 has tons better ballistics but it still is a medium range hunting cartridge regardless. And there’s the difference, from the get go the Ham’r was built as a mid range hunting cartridge. But there’s a game changer afoot, Speer has come out with a bonded 150 grain bullet for the Blackout for the purpose of making the BLK a more viable hunting cartridge. In the Hamr it gives it 30% more terminal ballistics than other Hamr loads. Over a thousand foot pounds at over 300 yards. Still not there with the Grendel but with a larger frontal area and more weight it’s close to a wash. And that’s comparing a 7 1/2 lbs gun with a 16” barrel to a 9 lbs gun with a 24” barrel. Shorten that Grendel barrel up and the minimal advantages that the Grendel may have start disappearing. But to be fair the Hamr just got SAAMI approved, so we’ll have to see if more ammo becomes available. For the reloader it’s no problem. It also doesn’t hurt that it’s stupid accurate.

5. GSI

GSI New Member

I bought a barrel and 300 BLK mag and converted my AR over. With reloading dies I’m in it for around $300. Worse group so far is an inch, half inch wide lighter bullets all day.

6. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

In your part of the country, what is a realistic distance to shoot a hog?

If shorter barrels /weight are a consideration, is the 300 HAM'R really much of a step up from 6.8 SPC with 110gr or 120gr bullets?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  7. GSI

GSI New Member

Most hogs in Texas are shot at well under 200 yard. As far as much of a step up, I'm not familiar enough with the 6.8 to say for sure. My personal comparisons are with the Grendel. I know as a reloader the Hamr is cheaper to reload and brass is plentiful as it can be made from 223 brass. But at 30 cents a piece why bother?

8. Shopfox

Zero 300 Ham'r availability on Ammoseek. Only factory ammo I found was Wilson Combat, with the lowest price being $0.75 +s/h.

This puts 300 HAM'R in handloading only territory.

Assuming 125gr Sie SP (midweight for the caliber) $0.28, and a medium charge of 26.0gr of CFE Black, ($26.99/lb) is $0.10 for powder. Primers about $0.03, works out to $0.41 (excluding brass). The cost (excluding brass) is the same for 110gr 6.8 SPC.

The main cost advantage I can see is when you buy 300 Ham'r brass from Starline vs. 6.8 SPC from Starline. Even then, over 5 loadings, the difference is pennies per piece different.

I just don't see $0.30 per happening (typo maybe?)

Fwiw, from an 18" barrel, the energy is ~1,000 ft.-lbs out to 250 +/-, with velocity at ~2,600 fps, and 6.8 SPC has a wide range of factory loadings. Point being, at best 300 Ham'r is maybe a little cheaper to build and buy brass for, but you have fewer factory ammo options as a tradeoff.
    Screenshot_20200716-122833_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. GSI

GSI New Member

I’ve been buying my brass at Wilson at 30 cents a piece. I also saw it from Starline at the same price. As far as the 6.8 I rarely see it in the shelves here in north Texas. Same goes for the Grendel although I do see it once in a while. If you going to go with one of these cartridges your going to be largely dependent on online sources. I agree that Wilson is high and it’s the only game in town for the Hamr but that might change. If you think that a 30-30 with more range and sub MOA capability is useful then the Hamr has a place. It’s clearly the cheapest caliber to convert over to and the cheapest to reload. Time will tell if it catches on. But for the short range hunting here in Texas it’s pretty fine. If your invested in a 6.8 there’s probably no reason to switch over but if your looking for a starting point I think the Hamr is a top consideration.

10. GSI

GSI New Member

I just checked, Starline is offering brass at .29 a piece.

Shopfox likes this.
  11. Shopfox

I misunderstood and thought the $0.30 was referring to the cost of a loaded round. My bad.

12. GSI

GSI New Member

Actually I decided to bone up on the 6.8. I pulled down my new Hornady manual and they have a 6.8 out of a 16" gun as the test platform. I agree that if your already invested in a 6.8 there's not much to be gained. But if not the 300 Hamr is a stronger caliber. Enough to make a difference in the field, probably not but more is more. At longer ranges the Grendel shines put that's only with the longer barrel. With 16" I think the Hamr would be stronger only because of frontal area. But really we're picking nits. If your happy with what you got then that's all that matters. Now the new 6mm arc.......as a hunter.......I'm waiting to see what's the deal.

Shopfox likes this.